Alex Sandro

You can't say Mendy, Bertrand and Alves for 1 Sandro, because you could also get Sandro+Alves as Alves is free. It's whether Mendy and Bertrand is worth 1 Sandro

Yes. That statement makes sense. What he is trying to say is that buying Alves won't cost us a penny. So it is irrelevant to count him in. He is not using up any part of our transfer budget.

That's not true though, because Juve wouldn't sell us half their defence.

Sandro or Alves, we'd only buy one, so you could definitely say Alves+Mendy+Bertrand for the price of Sandro.

When people talk about costs they often ignore the wages. Alves is certainly not cost free even if there is no transfer fee.
If we can get in good quality players in a position that we need and save some money for elsewhere that's good by me. Though Sandro is undoubtedly a pretty good player I can't say I will be disappointed at not getting him if we do get all our targets.

I don't know how so man fans can know so much about these players. I only know Mendy from the games we've played against Monaco and I recall Sandro from the Champions League final. Everyone does seem to rate Sandro very highly.

There has been a trend of Champions struggling to defend their title, because of complacency but if any manager can prevent that happening it's Conte. I was a little surprised to see the dissent behind the scenes with Costa, and to see Conte apparently fall out with his Chelsea bosses but a bit wary of how these things are reported. Chelsea seem to be strengthening their remaining weaknesses. City will be stronger. I think we are building a squad that can win the title and challenge for the Champions League but I thought the same last time. I agree the Premier league is very exciting.

It's not that hard, BT Sport play a lot of Ligue 1 and Serie A games, sky have the coppa Italia, the BBC have a European football radio show. It's never been easier to see more of teams like Juve.

Alex Sandro is a very good player but I'm not too bothered with us not going in for him if we get Mendy.

Mendy is basically in the same position Alex Sandro was in at the same age, only I would say 22 year old Mendy has had a better season than 22 year old Sandro, given he was one of the key performers in a side that reached the Champions League Semi-Final. If we get Mendy for £20m less than Sandro will cost and with 4 extra years on his side, then we're laughing in my opinion. Then put that £20m (plus £5m-£10m more) towards Bertrand and we really can't complain with that.

If Mendy can pick up on Pep's positional play quickly, and stick to it, then we'll absolutely be laughing, as his defensive game will go through the roof, but that's still an "if". The positive is that Bertrand is a very good defender and so even if he takes a while to grasp that, we can still have a defensive option if needed, plus Mendy won't be challenged all that often in the Premier League.

He was doubled up on by Ronaldo and Carvajal as Mandzukic did little to no tracking back.

No, that's not true at all, Mandzukic did a ton of tracking back and defensive work, as he always does.

Look at his heatmap for the game -

PCqH08Z.png

He spent most of his time defending the left flank.

No, that's not true at all, Mandzukic did a ton of tracking back and defensive work, as he always does.

Look at his heatmap for the game -

PCqH08Z.png

He spent most of his time defending the left flank.

The third goal is all on Mandzukic not tracking his man, he didn't help for the first goal, that heat map doesn't really back up your argument.

The third goal is all on Mandzukic not tracking his man, he didn't help for the first goal, that heat map doesn't really back up your argument.

It completely disproves your "he did no tracking back" theory, which anyone who knows Mandzukic would know isn't true. If you're blaming the first goal on him then it shows how absurd your expectations of the defensive contribution of a striker are. He tracks back all the way to his box, you can't expect him to also be Juventus' best defender and do more than Chiellini - the guy who actually leaves Ronaldo free in the box.

You seem to have mixed up the idea of a forward not helping out defensively with the forward not being a defender.

It completely disproves your "he did no tracking back" theory, which anyone who knows Mandzukic would know isn't true. If you're blaming the first goal on him then it shows how absurd your expectations of the defensive contribution of a striker are. He tracks back all the way to his box, you can't expect him to also be Juventus' best defender and do more than Chiellini - the guy who actually leaves Ronaldo free in the box.

You seem to have mixed up the idea of a forward not helping out defensively with the forward not being a defender.

In both the first and the third goal he completely loses his man. He neglected his defensive duties in that final and your heatmap showed it. In big games all your players need to contribute defensively, something both he and Dybala failed to do.

In both the first and the third goal he completely loses his man. He neglected his defensive duties in that final and your heatmap showed it. In big games all your players need to contribute defensively, something both he and Dybala failed to do.

It is one thing making an effort to get back which is necessary but you then have to make a telling defensive contribution for me Mandzukic is little more
than an extra body but adds little to defensive cohesion as he lacks the required instnict.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.