"All City fans are from Stockport"

I was born in St Mary's, Grew up in Longsight, Now live in Stockport and am moving to Eccles.

Loads of Rags in Stockport. Probably more than there are Blues. I find that there are a lot of Mancunians that have moved into neighboring stockport areas and really cant see the problem.
Stockport is in the Greater Manchester County anyway. Don't bother me.

It's only banter and like winding up Rags saying all their fans are from London. It will happen at City to when they're appeal becomes more widely accepted. Especially When we eventually win something. Mass appeal generates money at the end of the day. It will be something we'll have to accept. Chelsea fans have had to most recently.

my Parents moved over to Hazel Grove(work)over 20yrs ago,thank God(free Accommodation:))<br /><br />-- Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 pm --<br /><br />Stockport is in Cheshire(it used to be in Lancashire)so there you go

Big Jive Eddie said:
I
At the last count 10,000 season ticket holders at City live in Stockport.
Thats the kind of demographic you need - for both clubs what percentage of ST holders come from where? How can we get that?

DiscoSteve said:
Big Jive Eddie said:
I
At the last count 10,000 season ticket holders at City live in Stockport.
Thats the kind of demographic you need - for both clubs what percentage of ST holders come from where? How can we get that?

Good honest research. The last conducted was in 2001, by MMU. The City of Manchester (ie the bit where you pay your rates to the Manchester Corporation if you live in it) is/ was blue. Every other part of greater amnchester is, alledgedly, red. IIRC it was research based on totaly season ticket holders in each area. When United had 72,000 and City, at Maine Road, had 28,000 or so at the time. Apparently we'll get towards 40,000 (City have never made 100% of tickets into STs) this year, the rags are on the wain, so the differences might be quite revealing if the study was repeated. Give it a few years and some silver pottery and the tide will turn back to the good.

But, I remember the rags once doing a study on their season ticket database and reaching the heady conclusion that 80% of their season ticket holders came from within 10 miles of the ground. What they didn't tell you was that they'd picked the survey sample by address...

goat boy said:
DiscoSteve said:

Good honest research. The last conducted was in 2001, by MMU. The City of Manchester (ie the bit where you pay your rates to the Manchester Corporation if you live in it) is/ was blue. Every other part of greater amnchester is, alledgedly, red. IIRC it was research based on totaly season ticket holders in each area. When United had 72,000 and City, at Maine Road, had 28,000 or so at the time. Apparently we'll get towards 40,000 (City have never made 100% of tickets into STs) this year, the rags are on the wain, so the differences might be quite revealing if the study was repeated. Give it a few years and some silver pottery and the tide will turn back to the good.

But, I remember the rags once doing a study on their season ticket database and reaching the heady conclusion that 80% of their season ticket holders came from within 10 miles of the ground. What they didn't tell you was that they'd picked the survey sample by address...

I got that 2001 report in front of me, horse.
Here's the results...
72% of Manchester United season ticket holders live in the North West, approx 30 minutes from Old Trafford. The highest contingent of MU season ticket holders came from the M33 postcode - Sale. 10 mins from OT

78% of Manchester City season ticket holders live in the North West, approx 30 mins from Maine road. The highest contingent of MC season ticket holders came from the SK8 postcode - Cheadle. 20 mins from MR

Celtic Pete said:
goat boy said:

Here's the results...
72% of Manchester United season ticket holders live in the North West, approx 30 minutes from Old Trafford. The highest contingent of MU season ticket holders came from the M33 postcode - Sale. 10 mins from OT

78% of Manchester City season ticket holders live in the North West, approx 30 mins from Maine road. The highest contingent of MC season ticket holders came from the SK8 postcode - Cheadle. 20 mins from MR

Do one Rag, you don't fool me.

As earlier posts have mentioned, City's heartland is the South and East of Manchester as that is where the club has always been based. It is completely natural that the fan base will spill over to Stockport.

The Shite for the last 100 years or whatever has always been in the west of the city, and it's hardcore support is in the west and the north, and naturally spills over to Salford and Urmston, Irlam etc.

United fans see it as some kind of insult to us because Stockport is seen as some kind of Biffo town, but it's not like Salford is the Barcelona of the north is it?! They don't seem to realise this though, bless them.

rowsley_st said:
The rags have a point, we do have a big following in Stockport and its surrounding areas.
Bredbury for example has two big Manchester overspill council estates that moved people from Hulme, Ardwick and Moss Side in the 60's.
What were they supposed to do when they moved say..
"Right, that's it then, I'm in Stockport now, lets support County and not City anymore...and you kids- you're banned from doing it too!"
In fact loads of blues went watching County on a friday night and and City on a saturday..That was the way I was brought up too, it was affordable then, now it's not!
Look at The Heatons or Gatley, only ten minutes on the bus from Maine Road..
Goes the other way too though as Wythenshawe has a big rag contingent, as Swinton and Salford slum dwellers were moved there in the 30'-50's.
Tameside too has a big City following, look at Hattersley, another Manchester overspill estate...or even Handforth, same again.
If we'd have had the success over the last 20 years that the rags have had we'd have a hell of a lot more fans than they do...and probably as the rags have, they'd be from far and wide.
Just don't rise to their bait, we're bigger than that...It'll take a generation for us to be as big on the worldstage as them and also to win as much as they have since 1990.
Just smile and say "tick tock"....Our day is coming.

I'm from Handforth and would say that of the 16+'s it's probbaly about 60% blue, apart from on a matchday as most of the city fans actually go to the games

mcfcliam said:
Celtic Pete said:
Here's the results...

Do one Rag, you don't fool me.

Oddball, it's on google or haven't you mastered the search engine phenomenon yet?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.