All the 5's

I personally would be inclined to look at overall manjor trophies won - i.e. including European trophies (the European Cup/CL, ECWC, and UEFA Cup/Europa League BUT not any of the shitty glorified Super Cup friendlies). I don't really see why we should limit trophies to the domestic game when European trophies are widely counted as major trophies, too.

That wouldn't alter our position in relation to Villa or Everton, because each of us has won one. But Spurs won the ECWC in 1963 plus two UEFA Cups and I think we have to give them credit for that, while Chelsea have won 4. So, assuming we don't do a Devon Loch in the title race, we'll overtake Everton this season as we'll have 16 major trophies to their 15. We'll still be four short of Villa.

Meanwhile, we'd be 8 major trophies behind Chelsea and one behind Spurs. But that would be subject to adjustment if any of the three of us wins the CL or if one of them wins the FAC.

It takes sustained trophy success over a period of years to make a dramatic change to the picture. Before winning the FA Cup in 1997, Chelsea had only four in their history - and pedants like me would have called it three, disallowing their League Cup from the era when there was no Wembley final, it didn't confer a European place on the winners and not all teams entered it.

Most people 20-odd years ago would have been dismissive of the prospect of Chelsea overtaking Spurs in terms of honours won. However, they've pulled well clear now. We've made a decent start over the last 7 or 8 years at moving up the list and we can hope to kick on, making further progress in the years to come.

I personally would be inclined to look at overall manjor trophies won - i.e. including European trophies (the European Cup/CL, ECWC, and UEFA Cup/Europa League BUT not any of the shitty glorified Super Cup friendlies). I don't really see why we should limit trophies to the domestic game when European trophies are widely counted as major trophies, too.

That wouldn't alter our position in relation to Villa or Everton, because each of us has won one. But Spurs won the ECWC in 1963 plus two UEFA Cups and I think we have to give them credit for that, while Chelsea have won 4. So, assuming we don't do a Devon Loch in the title race, we'll overtake Everton this season as we'll have 16 major trophies to their 15. We'll still be four short of Villa.

Meanwhile, we'd be 8 major trophies behind Chelsea and one behind Spurs. But that would be subject to adjustment if any of the three of us wins the CL or if one of them wins the FAC.

It takes sustained trophy success over a period of years to make a dramatic change to the picture. Before winning the FA Cup in 1997, Chelsea had only four in their history - and pedants like me would have called it three, disallowing their League Cup from the era when there was no Wembley final, it didn't confer a European place on the winners and not all teams entered it.

Most people 20-odd years ago would have been dismissive of the prospect of Chelsea overtaking Spurs in terms of honours won. However, they've pulled well clear now. We've made a decent start over the last 7 or 8 years at moving up the list and we can hope to kick on, making further progress in the years to come.

Agree totally. Chelsea have a good 10 years us as they were big spenders even before Abramovich bought them, but their rise is still spectacular. Like them we're not going either much to the disdain of the rags and the dippers. I think we'll go past Spurs and Villa in the next 5 years or so for sure. It's good to finally get past Everton.

I've just noticed that we're now on 5 FA Cup wins, 5 League cups wins, and if we go on to win the league, 5 league titles.

We're currently tied with Spurs and Everton in 6th place with 14 domestic trophies. If we go on to win the league this year, that will put us on our own in 6th with 15. Not bad for a team with no history, eh?

For those interested, the team in 5th place is Villa with 19 major domestic trophies, 4th place is Chelsea with 20.

It would be fantastic if we could catch Villa by the end of Pep's reign. If he signs that extension, I reckon it's doable.

We should do pre-season in Hawaii now then ;-)

I've just noticed that we're now on 5 FA Cup wins, 5 League cups wins, and if we go on to win the league, 5 league titles.

We're currently tied with Spurs and Everton in 6th place with 14 domestic trophies. If we go on to win the league this year, that will put us on our own in 6th with 15. Not bad for a team with no history, eh?

For those interested, the team in 5th place is Villa with 19 major domestic trophies, 4th place is Chelsea with 20.

It would be fantastic if we could catch Villa by the end of Pep's reign. If he signs that extension, I reckon it's doable.
It's doable without the extension...

Edit: Oops, didn't notice the 'domestic'. I guess Pep will need another year then.

Interesting thread. Makes you realise how lucky we are to have seen us win 7 trophies in 7 years assuming we win the title.

Truly brilliant times to be a City fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.