All the 5's

I personally would be inclined to look at overall manjor trophies won - i.e. including European trophies (the European Cup/CL, ECWC, and UEFA Cup/Europa League BUT not any of the shitty glorified Super Cup friendlies). I don't really see why we should limit trophies to the domestic game when European trophies are widely counted as major trophies, too.

That wouldn't alter our position in relation to Villa or Everton, because each of us has won one. But Spurs won the ECWC in 1963 plus two UEFA Cups and I think we have to give them credit for that, while Chelsea have won 4. So, assuming we don't do a Devon Loch in the title race, we'll overtake Everton this season as we'll have 16 major trophies to their 15. We'll still be four short of Villa.

Meanwhile, we'd be 8 major trophies behind Chelsea and one behind Spurs. But that would be subject to adjustment if any of the three of us wins the CL or if one of them wins the FAC.

It takes sustained trophy success over a period of years to make a dramatic change to the picture. Before winning the FA Cup in 1997, Chelsea had only four in their history - and pedants like me would have called it three, disallowing their League Cup from the era when there was no Wembley final, it didn't confer a European place on the winners and not all teams entered it.

Most people 20-odd years ago would have been dismissive of the prospect of Chelsea overtaking Spurs in terms of honours won. However, they've pulled well clear now. We've made a decent start over the last 7 or 8 years at moving up the list and we can hope to kick on, making further progress in the years to come.

The first season, in which all 92 clubs participated in the League Cup was 1969/70.

And we all know how that panned out, don’t we?

:-D

I’d be interested in seeing that list at different times in history. Ie pre premier league, pre not sharing gate receipts, pre 1975, pre 1945 and other important dates to see how things changing in the world and/or in football changed the fortunes of different clubs...

Did my own Googling, just on winners of the top division as I cba doing it for FA Cups & League Cups too.

Loads of clubs pretty equal until the 1960-1992 period, where Liverpool streaked ahead.....maybe because of the investment from the Moores family perhaps?

United caught them up & surpassed them from 1992 - 2013. Guess that has nothing to do with gate receipt changes, the Prem & being ahead of the game with regards to marketing, but all to do with the United way?

1888-92 (Football League)
Preston x2 Total x2
Everton x1 Total x1
Sunderland x1 Total x1

1893-1915 1st World War
Sunderland x4 Total x5
Villa x6 Total x6
Everton x1 Total x2
Blackburn x2 Total x2
United x2 Total x2
Newcastle x3 Total x3
Sheffield Wed x2 Total x2
Liverpool x2 Total x2

1920-1939
Everton x3 Total x5
Arsenal x5 Total x5
City x1 Total x1
Sunderland x1 Total 6
Sheffield Wed x2 Total x4
Newcastle x1 Total x4
Huddersfield x3 Total x3
Liverpool x2 Total x4
Burnley x1 Total x1
West Brom x1 Total x1

1946-1960 (Change in attitudes & culture in UK)
Tottenham x1 Total x1
Burnley x1 Total x2
Wolves x3 Total x3
United x3 Total x5
Chelsea x1 Total x1
Arsenal x2 Total x7
Portsmouth x2 Total x2
Liverpool x1 Total x5

1960-1992 End of football league & change to gate receipts
Leeds x3 Total x3
Arsenal x3 Total x10
Liverpool x13 Total x18
Everton x4 Total x9
Villa x1 Total x7
Forest x1 Total x1
Derby x2 Total x2
City x1 Total x2
United x2 Total x7
Ipswich x1 Total x1
Tottenham x1 Total x2

1993-2003 Prior to new investment coming into to Chelsea
Blackburn x1 Total x3
United x8 Total 15
Arsenal x2 Total 12

2003-2018
City x3 Total x5
Chelsea x5 Total x6
Leicester x1 Total x1
United x5 Total x20
Arsenal x1 Total 13

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.