Amazon - Working for them

As far as I can see Amazon isnt a lot different to most places in the industry. Shitty pay, shitty conditions, monotous, physically semanding, right on the edge of what they're legally allowed to do with workers rights.

But it's a job and one that suits plenty of people. Just not all, and like most in the industry I'm guessing their staff turnover is incredibly high.

Do you work at sports direct? Genuine question

No and I never have. However a friend has in their warehouse and I think it's very clear given the employee accounts and undercover programme on TV, what it's like.

Why do you ask?

Big name company to have on your CV, but I haven't heard great things about the culture. They refer to employees as "Amazonians"... bit weird.

No and I never have. However a friend has in their warehouse and I think it's very clear given the employee accounts and undercover programme on TV, what it's like.

Why do you ask?

Well, I pass through it on a daily basis on my way to the transport office and the undercover programme was, in my humble opinion, the biggest pile of shit stitch up job I've ever seen. That programme made it seem like a Victorian sweat shop, along with the various newspaper reports. Yet the evidence of my own eyes is the polar opposite. I see no one rushing around, no one getting a bollocking, no one with fear in their eyes. I speak to people who've been there since it opened in 2006 who think the sun shines out of Mike Ashley's backside. Maybe it's because he makes them rich. And some disgruntled employees is inevitable in any organisation, especially one with 5000 people on one site.
I'm not having a go at you buddy, just that things aren't always what they seem.

Well, I pass through it on a daily basis on my way to the transport office and the undercover programme was, in my humble opinion, the biggest pile of shit stitch up job I've ever seen. That programme made it seem like a Victorian sweat shop, along with the various newspaper reports. Yet the evidence of my own eyes is the polar opposite. I see no one rushing around, no one getting a bollocking, no one with fear in their eyes. I speak to people who've been there since it opened in 2006 who think the sun shines out of Mike Ashley's backside. Maybe it's because he makes them rich. And some disgruntled employees is inevitable in any organisation, especially one with 5000 people on one site.
I'm not having a go at you buddy, just that things aren't always what they seem.

Is he making the zero hour contract people rich?

My mate works there as he's an actor so it works for him to fill in gaps when he's free, he said it's not great at all.

But then again you could do a hatchet job on lost companies.

In relation to Amazon, my friend sells Cloud for them and she says it's like working at Google but the warehouses haven't got a good reputation.

What stuff about the culture? No doubt it's American orientated

Very American focused from what one of my friends said. Just unrealistic expectations of staff and generally not a nice workplace atmosphere... that probably describes a lot of employers to be fair. Might be worth having a look on Glassdoor to see what employees have to say about it.

Surely you mean they are making him richer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.