Angus Gunn

Am I? Name me a keeper that hadn't played a senior club game by the age of 21.

I get the idea of learning how to be the type of keeper we needed, I'll trust the club know what they are doing here but for me you can't beat going out and playing.

A loan would still help him develop some of the non-technical aspects of being a keeper.

Victor Valdes was 21 when he started getting game time for Barcelona.

Experience of what? Booting the ball 60 yards every time it goes near him? No thanks, I think I'd rather he stayed here learning how to play the kind of football we want him to.

Pickfords loan did nothing. He was picked because the other options were injured, that's it. He didn't come back from loan ahead of Mannone, he just got his chance from injury like nearly every young keeper.

As one of the most talked about young keepers in the country, Gunn would be on loan within days if we put him out there. But he's not, because Guardiola wants him close.

if you actually want Gunn to break into the team, under Guardiola, spending time with Guardiola is 100x more important than a 3 month emergency loan to league 2, which he'd spend half of on the bench.

experience of actually playing some competitive games. not every team kicks the ball 60 yards down the field either, quite a few good football playing teams i nthe lower leagues. he's spending most of his time on the bench now, id rather he'd be playing. either way both staying and going on loan could be good for him. as long as he ends up beign our first choice its all goo.d

Slightly misleading as you know. He was already getting professional game time though for the b-team...

"Professional" would also be quite misleading, as they were in Segunda B at the time, the third tier which is regionally divided and so has Spain's 43rd-122nd best teams.

His experience in that division would have been National League North level - that's the 6th tier.

I haven't checked the exact teams in the 01/02 season, but I'd be pretty confident that a few of the teams weren't professional, lots of the teams have stadium capacities of 1,000. Admittedly the entire division isn't that level - a few of them would be Conference level, maybe even some League 2 quality teams at the very top.

He is currently trusted to be number 3. However, he surely needs game time to develop his potential. Will he stay as number 2 next season or will he be loaned out?

Depends who we bring in the summer. If we bring in either Rulli,Ederson or any other keeper then he has to be loaned out next season to get game time. If we bring in another experienced keeper to replace Willy then he should be kept on then all 3 keepers can challenge for being the regular keeper and also help each other develop their games.

Last edited:
He is currently trusted to be number 3. However, he surely needs game time to develop his potential. Will he stay as number 2 next season or will he be loaned out?

Depends who we bring in the summer. If we bring in either Rulli,Ederson or any other keeper then he has to be loaned out next season to get game time. If we bring in another experienced keeper to replace Willy then he should be kept on then all 3 keepers can challenge for being the regular keeper and also help each other develop their games.

He needs to play, perhaps we could give him the league cup next season, and then if he does well have him as number 2 for the league and FA cups from 18/19.

Do people think he's actually good enough to be starting for us in cups and the like?

I'm just really intrigued that we didn't send him out on loan anywhere, and have seemingly decided we want this entire year for him to be right with Pep, yet not actually playing. I'm not dismissing that, he might be learning loads, but it's certainly interesting and not what I expected us to do.

Do people think he's actually good enough to be starting for us in cups and the like?

I'm just really intrigued that we didn't send him out on loan anywhere, and have seemingly decided we want this entire year for him to be right with Pep, yet not actually playing. I'm not dismissing that, he might be learning loads, but it's certainly interesting and not what I expected us to do.

I think he is good enough to be third choice. The reality of that role is that you are very unlikely to play a single minute of 1st team football but someone has to do it. I would imagine we would keep him as long as he is happy to do it. Sooner or later he will want to play and that will require a loan or a move. Keepers have long careers so it is slightly different to outfield players.

He needs to play, perhaps we could give him the league cup next season, and then if he does well have him as number 2 for the league and FA cups from 18/19.

I agree with the thinking but if we did bring in a younger keeper to replace Willy and challenge Bravo then his chances would be severely limited, and probably Guardiola would either favour the new signing or Bravo (if he doesn't improve his form next season) for the cup games rather than Gunn.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.