"Another Face in the Crowd"

Ric said:
I think he raises an interesting point. A very close family member of mine is gay, and in any other scenario I will say something if someone is being homophobic. However, as David's article alludes to, at the game it's generally met just with a disbelieving shake of my head. Deep down I feel like I should make a stand for my sister, but another part of me thinks is it really worth kicking off every week?! I hate myself for it, but I imagine even she wouldn't really want that.

I sit (stand) in 111 and it's rife there. Opposition players, and our own, are flippantly dismissed as "faggots" if they lose a challenge. Literally anyone wearing pink in the away end is met with a chorus of "Who's the faggot in the pink?". It's a painfully shit and unfunny chant, and depressing to hear but, paradoxically, it's not sung with quite the same vitriol as certain other songs.

Not that this suggests any great liberalism amongst those singing it; the jist is that homosexuality is a diss, an insult, rather than the source of hatred or loathing. Is that progression? I dunno.

Not that I can talk; the same issue in the stands exists here on Bluemoon, inevitably, and has been dealt with in the same weak manner I mentioned. I've been accused in the past of turning a blind eye to homophobia on here (this being Bluemoon, I've also been accused of being "pro-gay", whatever that means).

The problem, on the forum at least, is distinguishing between those who are genuinely homophobic (who are invariably banned) and those who either flippantly or supposedly "post ironically" use "gay" or "faggot" as an insult. Either way, it's shit and should stop.

I would love to know on what basis some on blue moon has 'accussed' you of being pro gay? never knew it was a potential crime to support your family, fiends and MCFC gay fans

I'd take it as a compliment

hopefully we'll start to deal with the casual sexist and misogynist posts on here and all be accused of being pro women as well as being pro gay
boy that will really confuse the bigots

TGR said:
I think the author of the blog is being a wee bit 'precious' to be honest.

My boyfriend won't hug me hello/goodbye in public because he was gay bashed when he was 19 and is now afraid to express himself naturally in public.

He was in a coma and spent five days in hospital. He had bleeding on his brain: they nearly killed him.

When people at City shout "Nasri you faggot" they align being weak with being gay. That's stigma. All of these little incidents accumulate into a culture where homosexuality is stigmatised. Ian Baynham was killed in Trafalgar square in 2009.

Examples of extreme violence like that are fairly rare (I would argue because gay men avoid identifying themselves publicly, like the first example above) but the amount of unhappiness this culture causes is immeasurable.

I was too scared to come out until I was 21. Go on any gay dating site and you'll find hundreds of married men living double lives. Look at Gareth Thomas, can you imagine living a lie like that?

Open your mind a little and put yourself in my shoes. You might not think it so "precious" then.

Great article, and one I can relate with. I'm a gay season ticket holder, and I've said nothing as players are called faggots and poofs.

My boyfriend was horrified by the homophobia when he came to a Derby game a few years ago, and it put him off coming again. I'm happy to ignore it as I love City, but I'd like to see it disappear.

Anthony Kun said:
Balti said:
so you're gay

wow

no offence but seriously who cares??!!

Lol!

Seriously though... I was taught when growing up sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me!
I was a fat little fucker until I was about 15, which meant I went through all my school years being taunted and feeling shit... Do you see me writing a blog about it - and I'm pretty sure I've had more names called than you ever have!

fair enough mate

good luck

It's time to make an admission I have

Called players fannys game for bottling out
Called them blind for missing a chance
Called them fat for not being fit enough
Called a ref a cheat for giving wrong decisions

Was I really that wrong when you consider the blind, fat fcking fanny's that played for us over the years and don't get me started on the refs.

Good read Dave. I think football fans (myself included) can be the most ignorant people in society. Often a throw-away comment is aired without a second's thought. I honestly don't think a lot of it is out of nastiness but that is of no concern to those offended by it. It's just careless, thoughtless bravado.

mockingchicken said:
Great article, and one I can relate with. I'm a gay season ticket holder, and I've said nothing as players are called faggots and poofs.

My boyfriend was horrified by the homophobia when he came to a Derby game a few years ago, and it put him off coming again. I'm happy to ignore it as I love City, but I'd like to see it disappear.

Sorry but that is so wrong , you are a season ticket holder who happens to be gay. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing special.If I have offended you I am sorry , non meant.

Interesting article. I think football crowds are the worst places in the country for overt homophobia and racism. I was at spurs for the 0-0 a couple of seasons ago and there were lots of gas noises and hissing and it was vile. You also hear the words faggot and puff being banded around a lot still and it's not pleasant. The problem is that people get away with it and football grounds have become amongst the only places in the country where you can air biggotry in public without rebuke. The reaction of some posters on this forum is unfortunately symptomatic of the problems. If people think calling somebody fat is equivalent to a homophobic slur I think it shows how far we've still got to go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.