Anti depressants..

Just a sticking plaster over whatever the real problem is

Not always mate. Sometimes depression can be brought about even when everything in someone's life is 'fine'. In such cases it's caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, and the meds do restore that balance.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain brought about by life. The meds help but it may take you a while to find the right ones. Some work some don't. Fluoxetine sent me psychotic. Take the meds see how it goes keep talking to your GP. Once your genuinely feel better then you can start your recovery by addressing the issues that caused your illness. Biggest problem is the stigma attached to depression. 1 in 4 will face depression tomsome degree in their lives. Owning it is a great help. Remember you can't change the past, you don't know the future you can only live in the now. Hope you get there pal.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain brought about by life. The meds help but it may take you a while to find the right ones. Some work some don't. Fluoxetine sent me psychotic. Take the meds see how it goes keep talking to your GP. Once your genuinely feel better then you can start your recovery by addressing the issues that caused your illness. Biggest problem is the stigma attached to depression. 1 in 4 will face depression tomsome degree in their lives. Owning it is a great help. Remember you can't change the past, you don't know the future you can only live in the now. Hope you get there pal.
Carpe Diem

Not always mate. Sometimes depression can be brought about even when everything in someone's life is 'fine'. In such cases it's caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, and the meds do restore that balance.
True. I know all the things in life that ‘stress me out’. Some I could change, some I can’t. I just believe that meds (escitalopram after fluoxetine for couple of years) helps me deal with life. Tried talking therapy but made me feel worse as I brought up stuff that suddenly started playing on my mind when it hadn’t previously.

Last two years been on 30 mg citralopram(sp) before that 40mg for 3 years Best thing I ever did, might not work for everyone but for me those little tablets have been a life saver.

CBT didn’t work for me as I never opened up.

I also exercise a lot more before I wouldn’t have had the confidence to do it.

Do what works for you, is all I can say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been on a few varieties of anti-depresssnts and they all seem to have side affects. In my case these are usually sexual - either erectile dysfunction or unable to orgasm. Lithium causes shaky hands and weight gain. Like Karen said a few pages ago you have to weigh these side efffects up against the therapeutic benefits of the drug. If there are no benefits try a different drug - there are many varieties. The important thing is to give them time - often it can take 3 weeks or more for them to kick in.

Hey all,

Looks like I may have to start dabbling with these meds.

I have concerns about side effects. Libido and weight gain in particular.

Anyone able to shed light on their experiences/ what to expect?

My mum o/d on these and made her paranoia a lot worse. I wouldn’t recommend them. But hope works out for you.

Sorry for the bump.

I had been taking 20mg of Citalopram for approximately 10 months but last week my dosage increased to 40mg due to the reemergence of some rather dark thoughts.

Whilst I don’t feel particularly anxious or depressed, I have absolutely no energy, its negating the effects of Ritalin and now I am apathetic about being apathetic. My brain is extremely foggy and it’s a big concern that these side effects might not subside anytime soon. :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.