Any chicken keepers on here?

20120116-roots-promo-13-949x534.jpg
Haha I remember Chicken George from Roots. Good series that.

@idahoblues And any other chicken keepers on here.
I'm in the unusual poition of waiting for a reply to a request for help on a chicken site so I thought I'd ask on here too. I had 2 hens, one went to sleep a couple of weeks ago, I got a replacement, the other hen noticed it wasn't the same hen. I had to seperate then (for 10 days) and now the old hen is trying to rip the head off the new hen, they've been together all day today and the new hen isn't allowed to eat or drink (unless I kick the old hen out of the run for half an hour).

Is this normal and how long will it go on for, or is the new hen a rag and the old hen has her sussed?
Good luck there, they will probably never get on. They can be right bastards to each other, I've given a few away over the years as they others were bullying them too much.

Good luck there, they will probably never get on. They can be right bastards to each other, I've given a few away over the years as they others were bullying them too much.
Can you not just treat them like dogs and batter the bully every time they kick off?

Can you not just treat them like dogs and batter the bully every time they kick off?
They don't give a shit....it's a harsh world in the coop....and don't get me started on the fucking roosters, Biffa Bacons of the bird world

They don't give a shit....it's a harsh world in the coop....and don't get me started on the fucking roosters, Biffa Bacons of the bird world
But if they're bullying then there's a social structure, make it clear that you're at the top of the structure and won't tolerate it, it should stop.

Pissing myself at the thought of Chavvy Geordie Roosters now.

But if they're bullying then there's a social structure, make it clear that you're at the top of the structure and won't tolerate it, it should stop.

Pissing myself at the thought of Chavvy Geordie Roosters now.
I like to think I am top of the structure (I'm sure they won't agree) but unless I move in with them I can't stop number two bullying number three.

Hens used to be, and are supposed to be, fun pets. I'm sure these two will be again once the older one stops kicking off every five minutes.

Did the bullys behave with other new hens, or were they the problem?

You can get anti bullying/pecking spray no idea if it works though.
I think the spray makes them taste bad, it's the charging thats forcing the young one to leg it. With all the pecking, it's just a showing dominance thing, there haven't been any feathers ripped out, yet, that I know of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.