Anyone have family or relatives who served in WW2?

My mums brother got shot in the head and died in Burma he was in the (forgotten) 14th army .only 21 years of age .the conditions he endured before his death were horrific

My Uncle was in the REME and was being evacuated from St Nazaire in 1940. He was within a few hundred men from getting onboard the Liner Lancastria. The Lancastria was then sunk a few miles off shore and several thousand were killed. Churchill hushed up the tragedy as the Country was still reeling from bad news. He used to get really annoyed when people talked about Dunkirk because the Lancastria was forgotten but a huge disaster. My other Uncle was lost in the North sea on a minesweeper. Brave people .

My dad's dad was a naval officer in the Pacific. If I remember correctly, he was on a supply ship. Stayed in the reserves after he was done with active duty. He always loved the sea and sailing. He had a sailboat and used to take me out when we'd visit. I loved it. He gave me his cap from when he was in Navy as well as his pin on insignia denoting his rank. I thought it was the greatest! I was 13-14 when he passed. I've since come in to possession of some of his letters home. Haven't read them all yet. I think I'll have a good look at them now...

One of his brothers was a pilot for the United States Marine Corps in the Pacific. He flew the Vought F4U Corsair. Thought he was something else when I was young. Later found out he had some unpleasant words for my dad at my grandad's funeral re: religion (he's a Mormon and was not too nice to dad, grandad wasn't a Mormon either). Not a fan of his since. Grandad's other other brother was with the army fighting the Nazi's.

My mom's dad was also in the army and had the rank of sergeant at some point and was in the infantry. I know this from my grandmother and photos showing him in uniform with his rank.(I was only 4 when he passed away.) Beyond that I don't know anything else. My mom says the government facility where his records were stored had a flood of some sort and everything of his was destroyed.

Edit:

My wife is German. Her dad's dad was in the Heer during the war and died fighting the Russians at Stalingrad. She thinks her dad was Hitler Youth (he's in his 80's) because he basically had to join. I know he has spoken some about being in Germany and his mother talking poorly about Hitler and him telling her she had to be careful or the neighbours would turn her in to the authorities.

My Uncle was in the REME and was being evacuated from St Nazaire in 1940. He was within a few hundred men from getting onboard the Liner Lancastria. The Lancastria was then sunk a few miles off shore and several thousand were killed. Churchill hushed up the tragedy as the Country was still reeling from bad news. He used to get really annoyed when people talked about Dunkirk because the Lancastria was forgotten but a huge disaster. My other Uncle was lost in the North sea on a minesweeper. Brave people .

Agree completely! Sometimes wonder if we had to do now what they did if our young people would be up to the challenge.

My Grandad was an anti aircraft gunner in Liverpool, didn't really talk about it much. Nans brother was killed and buried in Burma, heard a lot about my uncle Eddie when I was growing up.

Brother's wife's Granddad was at Bletchley Park. Only told the family about 5 years ago!! Always tells me to thank any US WWII veterans I meet for saving Britain from the Nazis. Says we don't want to know how things might have gone without their help! Lovely fella. So humble. Still has a City Seasoncard in the CB Stand.

Dad's Dad had rifle backfire in his face, lost sight in his right eye.
Mum's Dad was a gunner on a Lancaster. Lived to ripe old age, but never talked about it.
Mum's Stepdad was in the Navy. Couldn't swim! Still have his Navy ID card somewhere.
Sadly, all deceased now.

Last edited:
My grandad , who died just before I was born , served as a desert rat.
He got married in 1939 then was sent away in 1940, not to return until 1945! He was then expected to carry on married/civilian life as tho nothing had happened.

He never spoke about what went on to my mum or auntie, there’s a few photos knocking about.
Anyway, a year or two ago my mum got speaking to an old chap who it turned out not only worked at the same printers as Grandad Frank but served with him in North Africa.
“Very brave man was frank , we’ll sit down and il tell you a few stories about him”. It never happened and the guy died not long after so I guess we’ll never know.

Also ... my great aunts husband who is a meek and quiet fella , small In stature, looks, in all honesty, like a bit of a geek, turns out to be a real life war hero. He has a story about advancing through Holland after D-Day towards Germany.
Heavily outnumbered they took a vital bridge from the Germans only then to be attacked by all sides , they held the bridge until support arrived. He eventually got captured but immediately escaped , stole a German army vehicle to escape and went straight back into the fray.
Now I’m guessing he’s killed, seem his mates killed, it’s a miracle his mind isn’t blown to bits .... maybe it is

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.