Anyone here used a VPN on a custom router?

Discussion in 'Technical queries' started by aguerrrroooooooooooo, 2 Dec 2016.

1. aguerrrroooooooooooo

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Looking at encrypting all my network traffic after the snoopers charter was released

2. DavidWhitesBoots

DavidWhitesBoots

Yep I use an Asus n66 flashed with tomato and Private internet access, only ballache is its all traffic or no, I have a Plex server which I could do with being without being behind a VPN so I can get to my music whilst out and about. Other than that works well. I know you can use software to act as a router and direct traffic but never really looked into it yet.

3. Metalartin

Metalartin

Been thinking about this myself, might advise any family members using kodi to do the same... any idea when this snoopers charter rule comes into effect?

IPVanish looks a good one does anyone know of anything as good as that for a cheaper price?

4. SilverFox2

SilverFox2

Same here in fact I have an Asus router that lends itself to doing it but I don´t live in UK so maybe my ISP not a source of historical logging for authorities ?
    However I already have PureVPN to allow me to logon to TV and radio football on sites in UK.

I noticed this recently and wonder if it is of any use for your purposes AG ?.

https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-setup-virtual-wi-fi-router-via-purevpn-software

5. aguerrrroooooooooooo

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Think it's in effect now mate
    How is your speed? I've read that most routers struggle to cope with a VPN and the drop in speed is significant

Thanks for the tutorial mate. Depends what country you live in really; if it's Panama don't bother lol :D

6. DavidWhitesBoots

DavidWhitesBoots

Speed in terms of the router is always fine, problem can sometimes be server you connect to, some if the pia servers are capped at 10meg.
    Never get the full 100meg beat I've had is 50meg via pia

7. aguerrrroooooooooooo

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Cheers mate. I have Nord VPN and if I use a UK server i can nearly max out my connection; will have a look at the asus though :)

8. DavidWhitesBoots

DavidWhitesBoots

Asus or nighthawk the extra money for the nighthawk as the wifi range is top drawer

9. SilverFox2

SilverFox2

Yes I agree, mine is the RT-AC87U, not got fibre (or copper for that matter) to use the AC here in the rustic south of Spain but we get our internet and telephone via a dish connected wirelessly to a transmitter about 5 k away in the mountains.

10. aguerrrroooooooooooo

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Cheers, skint at the moment so I'll be saving up haha :)