Applauding opposition goals at Home

Remember clapping le tissier off when he was subbed for saints at Maine road - he had had his usual blinder.

Also I remember clapping at end of 3-3 vs Newcastle and I was honestly clapping all players on the pitch for the entertainment they had just given me ....

I captained a team in a competition I'd won with Coca Cola back in May 2004 (to be honest, my mate worked for the promotion company so I was a shoe in, so got to play at the Etihad.

We lost 8-5 and the opposition had a young kid playing up front (think Jason Beckford, but quicker). He won a ball in midfield, went past 5 or 6 thirty somethings then chipped our Polish keeper.

I was sat on the edge of the opposition 18 yard box whilst he waltzed around everyone, as I was poring in sweat, having spent 3 days on a stag do preceding the game.

There were a few blues (fans, not players) in our team that day.

It became more memorable due to the fact that we were strictly told to wear moulded studs but I didn't have a pair, but despite a 'thorough' check by the ref, my screw ins were deemed acceptable. By half time, I only had 7 of the 12 left as 5 had got embedded in the pitch. 5 days later, England played a friendly on our pitch and Gary Neville had to leave the pitch after receiving a nasty gash to his knee after a pretty innocuous challenge in the area of the pitch that I was goal-hanging. In my mind, he received his injury from an upturned screw from my misplaced stud.

EDIT: And, yes, whilst sat, I applauded his goal

Last edited:
I cant do it unless the game is already effectively over.

On Tuesday half my brain could appreciate the quality of the goal. The other half was silently berating Stones and City for allowing him to score. The second half of my brain would never have allowed me to applaud the goal.

Back in the day when I was a regular in the North Stand (at Maine Road) it was the norm to clap the opposition goalkeeper when he arrived. It was practically a tradition.

One I do remember was clapping Frank Worthington when he scored a beaut against us. For Bolton I think. But we were winning, so it was just appreciation for a great goal, it didn't have any impact on the final score.

I remember City v Villa, late 90s - awful game. Both sides played dross, except one player - Paul Merson. He stood out as absolute class, and when he was subbed after about 75 mins the whole ground stood to applaud him. I realised then how appreciative and perceptive City fans were - not that I ever doubted it. (Whatever you think of Merson as a pundit, he was a gem in a muckheap that day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.