Applying for a job..

If it was a small business or a charity then I think there would be a moral dilemma, but if the job isn't with either then go for it. If an employer really wants you then they will invest in you and will be patient.

I think the real question is at what point during the process you mention it. Whilst it shouldn't matter, the truth is that there is always a risk that disclosing it early on might put the employer off (even if subconsciously). My hunch is to not mention it until they offer you the position, but it's probably best to speak to a recruitment consultant or careers adviser about it.

Anyways, good luck with it and get well soon.

It is a large organisation, but my main boss has his fingers in many pies and will find out I've applied.

It is a large organisation, but my main boss has his fingers in many pies and will find out I've applied.
Ah, that's tricky. Do you mean that he is a director of multiple organisations, or that he just knows the people at the one you're applying for (rather than working for them)?

Ah, that's tricky. Do you mean that he is a director of multiple organisations, or that he just knows the people at the one you're applying for (rather than working for them)?

Not a director but the work I would be doing would involve him on some level, so he'd be consulted as to the applicants.

Not a director but the work I would be doing would involve him on some level, so he'd be consulted as to the applicants.
In that case maybe have a chat with him first. Say that you think it would be a great opportunity and that you want to apply, and then ask if he has any advice/tips on applying for the role - that way you'll soften him up, and you'll come across as asking for his advice and support rather than his permission, so to speak. It will also help you to reassure him that you are applying because it represents a new challenge and a step up, rather than it being because you're not happy in your current role, which would protect you should you not get the job.

Discuss your health first is the right thing to do,you don't want to be in the job if they get wind of it after you have already started

I went for a job and told them in interview thay i got a 3 day migraine every month,they still took me on and fitted my work around it and it wasn't a problem

Thanks for the advice all. Had a word and he said he'd put in a good word for me and it's not a problem as it shows I'm looking to advance my career.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.