Are we witnessing the break up of the old guard ?

Blue Mooner

Yesterday's decision to select Willy ahead of Joe Hart was a pretty big call and one that seemed to upset most blues. I think it was an important and powerful move, add that to Vinny seemingly no longer being captain and it is Guardiola clearly demonstrating who's in charge.

This is pure speculation on my part but has Guardiola come in seen the squad dynamics and realised he had to do something to break up the City old guard clique?

Yesterday's team was telling, Yaya not picked, Hart dropped, Nasri seemingly being put up for sale, Vinny training but not being considered fully fit, Zabaleta at some point rumoured to be moving on, subbed after 20 minutes in the St Johnstone friendly, and not picked yesterday. These are all City greats, all the strong characters in the squad. Had they become too powerful and controlling of the dressing room ? Has Guardiola decided that he needs to reassert power.

Pellegrini seemed to let the dressing room dominate him which was stifling the youth, having a possible negative effect on the likes of Sterling (look at him yesterday) Delph and others. The only old guard players picked yesterday were Aguero, Silva, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernandinho - I would suggest the quieter and less domineering characters, those more willing to conform and keep their heads down.

All these players are hero's in my eyes and I hope they still have a future at the club but had their popularity with the fans (with the exception recently of Yaya) led their egos to spiral out of control and were they too controlling of the dynamics of the dressing room. Look at Guardiola telling the squad to decide on the captain - was that Guardiola's way of freeing up the opinion of the dressing room, making it more democratic? How many times would Hart come out and be the voice of the dressing room, almost speaking like the manager. With hindsight, it was wrong, very wrong.

Look at the positive change it already appears to have had. The team huddle yesterday after the second goal was brilliant to see. The players sticking around to applaud the fans.

The above is pure speculation on my part, but something is going on, and to be honest it is brilliant that we have a manager prepared to make the big decisions and not be cowed by strong characters in the dressing room or the unpopularity of the fans. In Pep we trust.

Good post. I am on my way to the mountains today so can't do it justice.

I would like to think Nasri, Hart and Kompany will return at some point. It's possible Nasri might go, but he could do very well under Pep. Can only have so many players. I wasn't keen on Yaya starting every game last season, but he might find himself a key player every now and then

For years the playing staff have held all of the aces. For some, they lack the maturity and professionalism to act responsibly in such circumstances and, quite frankly, have taken the piss for far too long.

Those days are over.

The only question for me is whether, after years of being allowed to get away with it, they can adjust their mindset and behaviours and accept that they will be coached, they will be instructed, they will have to listen, and they will be expected to react accordingly in terms of their actions. This is a non-negotiable part of their playing contract and for some they look like they are shitting themselves at the prospect of working in this way.

Refreshing.

For years the playing staff have held all of the aces. For some, they lack the maturity and professionalism to act responsibly in such circumstances and, quite frankly, have taken the piss for far too long.

Those days are over.

The only question for me is whether, after years of being allowed to get away with it, they can adjust their mindset and behaviours and accept that they will be coached, they will be instructed, they will have to listen, and they will be expected to react accordingly in terms of their actions. This is a non-negotiable part of their playing contract and for some they look like they are shitting themselves at the prospect of working in this way.

Refreshing.
Agree with every word of that.

Yesterday's decision to select Willy ahead of Joe Hart was a pretty big call and one that seemed to upset most blues. I think it was an important and powerful move, add that to Vinny seemingly no longer being captain and it is Guardiola clearly demonstrating who's in charge.

This is pure speculation on my part but has Guardiola come in seen the squad dynamics and realised he had to do something to break up the City old guard clique?

Yesterday's team was telling, Yaya not picked, Hart dropped, Nasri seemingly being put up for sale, Vinny training but not being considered fully fit, Zabaleta at some point rumoured to be moving on, subbed after 20 minutes in the St Johnstone friendly, and not picked yesterday. These are all City greats, all the strong characters in the squad. Had they become too powerful and controlling of the dressing room ? Has Guardiola decided that he needs to reassert power.

Pellegrini seemed to let the dressing room dominate him which was stifling the youth, having a possible negative effect on the likes of Sterling (look at him yesterday) Delph and others. The only old guard players picked yesterday were Aguero, Silva, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernandinho - I would suggest the quieter and less domineering characters, those more willing to conform and keep their heads down.

All these players are hero's in my eyes and I hope they still have a future at the club but had their popularity with the fans (with the exception recently of Yaya) led their egos to spiral out of control and were they too controlling of the dynamics of the dressing room. Look at Guardiola telling the squad to decide on the captain - was that Guardiola's way of freeing up the opinion of the dressing room, making it more democratic? How many times would Hart come out and be the voice of the dressing room, almost speaking like the manager. With hindsight, it was wrong, very wrong.

Look at the positive change it already appears to have had. The team huddle yesterday after the second goal was brilliant to see. The players sticking around to applaud the fans.

The above is pure speculation on my part, but something is going on, and to be honest it is brilliant that we have a manager prepared to make the big decisions and not be cowed by strong characters in the dressing room or the unpopularity of the fans. In Pep we trust.

^
Excellent post.

Good post. I am on my way to the mountains today so can't do it justice.

I would like to think Nasri, Hart and Kompany will return at some point. It's possible Nasri might go, but he could do very well under Pep. Can only have so many players. I wasn't keen on Yaya starting every game last season, but he might find himself a key player every now and then
I look forward to your post later telling us how much better Snowdon is than Everest.

Most definitely gonna be big changes this season, that spine has been brilliant for us (let's not forget that) but they under achieved a lot also. Surely Pep is the man to get them all firing again? A mix up of the whole squad might just work a treat.

We where at a point with this squad and management of it where certain players felt guaranteed a starting spot if fit, regardless of form and that is simply unacceptable.

With Pep, you understand his instructions and carry them out or you are gone its that simple and its about time, regardless of who you are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.