Are we witnessing the break up of the old guard ?

Generally I dislike comparisons like this but while I love Kun I don't think he'll ever be on Luis Suarez' level as a striker, the Uruguayan has consistently been the most lethal & varied scoring forward in every league he's ever played

Interesting that Argentina coaches seem to prefer Higuain to Kun to play with Messi. Kun is a very very good player but I think Pep is right to believe he could still improve his all round game. He should be as good as Suarez but he's not there yet in terms of his all round contribution and his ability to graft goals in tight matches when we're down with 30 mins to go. (imo) I do believe he can be that good if he listens to Pep.

I just wonder if a decision has been made regarding Kun A. because the first stage to increase his value with a contract extension has just happened swiftly followed by his exclusion from the tie against Barca.. Of course we want him but if our manager wants more but if he refuses or is unable to comply then Pep will not hesitate to act.

You could be right mate. We chatted in the pub before the game about the same thing. I don't think it was a coincidence that we started Fernando as a centre back against Arsenal and we signed Stones 24 hours later!

Stones on his citytv interview said that despite protracted talks all summer, the move came about in a single day (the monday after the arsenal game)
He says he got the call in the morning to go to city, so it probably is a good estimate that it had some kind of a hand in it..

I just wonder if a decision has been made regarding Kun A. because the first stage to increase his value with a contract extension has just happened swiftly followed by his exclusion from the tie against Barca.. Of course we want him but if our manager wants more but if he refuses or is unable to comply then Pep will not hesitate to act.

His contract extension was back in January mate.

Last edited:
Pep is fanatically committed to playing the best football possible - and for him, that means playing it out from the back even when under pressure so-as to retain the ball, keeping possession, and moving the team forward so that the ball is nearly always in the opposition's half. If the ball turns over, it's mostly going to be in the opposition's half where it won't hurt us - and Pep's phiolosphy is to high press - shadow marking - to get the ball back as quickly as possible.

The last component of Pep's philosophy is to attack, attack, attack - possession for possession's sake is awful in Pep's opinion - possession is to used to move the opponent out of position and then to exploit positional weaknesses so that we can score.
======
Anyone at all who isn't suited to this play style - regardless of reputation or influence in the dressing room - isn't gong to start under Pep.
--------
Changing of the guard? Absolutely.

Pep is now in charge and there are two ways to play. Pep's way - or for some other team.

Last edited:
Just caught up with news that zaba is on his way out, which isn't a surprise. But speculation over Kompany and especially Aguero is baffling. Not a over reaction, but with us signing Gabriel Jesus and actively looking at PEA from dortmund maybe something on it.

Ofcourse aguero signing a new contract till 2020.. There hopefully is nothing to it.

The old guard is breaking up rapidly, which is sad for me.- Hart, Vinny, Zabaleta, Yaya, aguero (whom I doubt)

Pep is being too ruthless... I will wait for kompany and especially Aguero situation to develop.. But think pep is being too ruthless
I think the big issue with Kompany is his inability to prove his fitness so there is no point considering his long term prospects with Pep until he demonstrates he can play week in week out. The situation with Kun is interesting as he is now at an age at which most players make their last big move. If he leaves over the next couple of windows we would get the cash to replace him with a younger striker who may fit more into Pep's scheme of things. Kun is with justification a City legend but the modern game is ruthless and their is little room for sentiment. If Pep is not happy with Kun's contribution to the team and changes he demands are not implemented by the player he will be sold. This does not rest easy with a lot of fans but it is fact of current football life that Pep is not going to be influenced in any way by Kun's heroics on that never to be forgotten Sunday afternoon in May.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.