Arsenal home November sold out

What I am saying is that life changes, life around our lives changes, we adjust. Because City is so important to some, I assume they make adjustments to allow themselves to go to games, until they can't. What to do? Do we subsidize ticket costs? Make some tickets cheaper? You know, like £300 for a season ticket....that's a ticket to every home game for £15.79! And, with the ability to sell a few of those to offset costs if £8/wk is too much.

I'm all for City making season tickets cheaper, but I'm realistic enough to know that I should probably not going to happen on a widespread basis, especially given the levels of investment at the club.

When City were shit, was itrelatively cheaper to watch them? Sure! Why were they shit? Maybe because they didn't have the investment needed to buy the players the likes of United, Liverpool and the rest were buying?! Circular argument, isn't it?!

I think City do a good job of keeping a portion of season tickets as inexpensive as any around. They don't allow you to sit with your mates, they don't throw in a beer or a pie or a shirt, but they make it about as cheap as a packet of fags every week. Is that cheap enough? I'm not the one to say.

As for my applying the free market to tickets, I'm not, nor is City. If either of us were, then there wouldn't be £299 season tickets and there would be an auction for tickets. However, I would note that the club is running a global business and they DO have to live in a world where free market principles apply. In fact, we hear about them being applied to City by fans all the time....like why City don't make £750M from their short sponsor, for example.

Everyone understands the concept, but some people don't like it applied to their slice of the pie. I don't make the rules. City don't listen to me when they set ticket prices, and they don't ask me how they should price anything. I'm simply an observer of what they do, and am trying to explain why.

I have no dog in the hunt, so fire away.....

To be honest mate, I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a season ticket in a decent seat. I think we all agree that the club cannot be run as a charity, it is a money making enterprise, no problem with that. It's just how far they go with it that we probably differ on.

The club could charge an average of £100 a ticket and get 30,000 there, bringing in £3m in revenue per game. Or they could charge an average of £30 a ticket and have 55,000 there, bringing in £1,650,000 per game.

The first option would obviously bring in more revenue. As a fan of the club, I would prefer the latter, more fans engaged with the club and a better atmosphere.

It's obviously an extreme example, but I think the club are veering towards the former. They're trying to monetise too quickly and they're not engaging enough with our traditional core fan base. We all want the short term success, of course we do, but we all want the club to still be going in 100 years time too. If you price out too many fans now, we could lose another generation.

And as a wider point, it's not really your stance on the club's ticket policy that I disagree with in particular. It's your suggestion that people's earnings are simply a reflection of how hard they work. I think it's a very simplistic and closeted view of the world. You've suggested you have come from a difficult background and made a success of yourself financially. That's credit to you. But everyone had a different path, different circumstances. It's lazy and arrogant to suggest anyone who hasn't made money has simply not worked hard enough. Plenty of the hardest workers earn minimum wage and they've all got a different stories.

Lowest option for Everton is for a non Cityzen and is £45. or they can go to the Palace game for £35, no Cityzen membership required.
Plus if you're an old facker like me £35 Everton and only 25 Palace,all on open sale and like you say no Cityzen membership needed.

And as a wider point, it's not really your stance on the club's ticket policy that I disagree with in particular. It's your suggestion that people's earnings are simply a reflection of how hard they work. I think it's a very simplistic and closeted view of the world. You've suggested you have come from a difficult background and made a success of yourself financially. That's credit to you. But everyone had a different path, different circumstances. It's lazy and arrogant to suggest anyone who hasn't made money has simply not worked hard enough. Plenty of the hardest workers earn minimum wage and they've all got a different stories.

I agree. I can't possibly know everyone's individual circumstances, nor can the club, so the only thing you can do is make the tickets a decent price and hope that fans can afford it and fill the stadium.

However, in my defence, I'm not a special person and I honestly believe that if people really want to change their circumstances, there are enough opportunities that, when combined with their own personal sacrifices, they can make positive changes. Not everyone can be a millionaire, but then no one is destined to forever be a minimum wage worker, either.

We are not going to solve all of societies ills on Bluemoon, and to even equate having the money for entertainment (watching City) with thr comsoderably greater societal problems faced everywhere seems a little silly. Watching City in person is a luxury. Always was. Even back in the day, people weren't sufficiently well financed to be able to afford going to games. The difference is that they didn't have computers and the internet to detail their lack of finances and the "need" for a multibillion dollar business to provide them with the opportunity.

I don't know if things will ever change, but in the wider review of societies ills, it seems a frivolous one. Maybe it doesn't seem so to the person who wants to see a game and can't afford £8/wk, but on their own list of priorities, surely a City game has to be far down the list, too?

I have discussed this issue in here before, and gave options I thought were reasonable and pertinent. I'll leave it there. Take care.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.