Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
You misunderstand - I am not talking identifying fishing vessels I am talking about enforcement. Unlikely that post Brexit that trying to enforce our waters will be any more successful than enforcing quota's with foreign boats has been already - ask any fisherman they will tell you we enforce quota's far more rigorously than the Spanish do for example. Do you think their authorities will be more helpful once we are out?
Only need to identify the vessel and impose fines on the nation it's registered to.

But it's a completely different scenario.
You only need a photo of the vessel with fishing gear deployed and the Flagged nation is in violation of international law. No argument.
You do know I spent 6 years flying maritime patrol right?

so that will stop vessels doing what the Cornelis Vrolkik ( spelling? ) did? I drink in pubs here in east cleveland where North East inshore fishermen go - Redcar and the like ( bleak I know ) they tell tales of how rules are flouted regularly by foreign vessels - I have friends from when I used to live down south in Weymouth and Bridport its the same crack - no help from HMG and no action from abroad - and thats when we are IN the EU !! I doubt post divorce the attitude from the EU will improve - theory is great but if they don't pay what do we do? Send the bailiffs in?

so that will stop vessels doing what the Cornelis Vrolkik ( spelling? ) did? I drink in pubs here in east cleveland where North East inshore fishermen go - Redcar and the like ( bleak I know ) they tell tales of how rules are flouted regularly by foreign vessels - I have friends from when I used to live down south in Weymouth and Bridport its the same crack - no help from HMG and no action from abroad - and thats when we are IN the EU !! I doubt post divorce the attitude from the EU will improve - theory is great but if they don't pay what do we do? Send the bailiffs in?
As far as i'm aware the Cornelis was operated by a UK company so although it took a big part of the quota it wasn't illegal. Of course the quotas will be reassessed and as UK stocks will be subject to whatever trade agreement is put in place they probably won't be hoovering up and landing it in Europe anymore.

edit: As for the bailiffs, well it would be the UN I guess who sort out international territorial disputes. Of course we didn't do so well in the Cod War but lets not drag up past failures ;-)

As far as i'm aware the Cornelis was operated by a UK company so although it took a big part of the quota it wasn't illegal. Of course the quotas will be reassessed and as UK stocks will be subject to whatever trade agreement is put in place they probably won't be hoovering up and landing it in Europe anymore.

all the lads I know say it was Dutch owned and operated?? I don't doubt your knowledge of the law but my experience of guys that fish - mostly small boats inshore - is that foreign vessels do what they want and when reported little gets done with the authorities openly citing lack of resources and political will and few expect an improvement post Brexit - most expect it will get worse chiefly because there is so little resource available to do anything about it

all the lads I know say it was Dutch owned and operated?? I don't doubt your knowledge of the law but my experience of guys that fish - mostly small boats inshore - is that foreign vessels do what they want and when reported little gets done with the authorities openly citing lack of resources and political will and few expect an improvement post Brexit - most expect it will get worse chiefly because there is so little resource available to do anything about it

And they have my sympathy. However, I would hope that as this is one of the more vocal issues of Brexit it will get the attention it deserves.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...235010670/imo:8707537/vessel:CORNELIS_VROLIJK

British Flagged

And they have my sympathy. However, I would hope that as this is one of the more vocal issues of Brexit it will get the attention it deserves.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...235010670/imo:8707537/vessel:CORNELIS_VROLIJK

British Flagged

Interesting - if you Google it its Dutch family owned and they are proud enough to have a Dutch flag top right of the web page. Flag of convenience? From what I read I doubt much of the catch and little profit comes our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.