Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mogg sums it up. Either talks go well and we don't need a transition deal - or they go terribly and it's too late. Some choice.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ng-exodus-theresa-may-morgan-stanley#comments

"The latest financial institution making plans to relocate jobs away from the UK is Morgan Stanley, which has announced that Frankfurt will become its post-Brexit EU hub ...

Morgan Stanley joins Standard Chartered and Nomura, both of which also picked Frankfurt as a new EU base, and JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs, which are moving jobs out of London to various other centres.
"

This obviously is fake news. It must be because we were told this would never happen.

Last edited:
I suspect you will not get much response as the article has pre-empted that. "The responses have taken the now familiar route from denial (it won’t happen), via minimisation (if it does happen, it won’t be that bad), to steeliness in the face of self-harm (it will happen and it will be painful, but it will be worth it)."

It actually misses the next stage. The will of the people must be upheld even if it's disastrous.

I suspect you will not get much response as the article has pre-empted that. "The responses have taken the now familiar route from denial (it won’t happen), via minimisation (if it does happen, it won’t be that bad), to steeliness in the face of self-harm (it will happen and it will be painful, but it will be worth it)."

It actually misses the next stage. The will of the people must be upheld even if it's disastrous.
And if the will of the people changes?

It is apparently immutable. But this is not about the will of the people, it's about people who thought it would be a disaster now working for the disaster because the people willed it, even if the people do change their mind (or enough of the people). How can it be undemocratic to have another referendum?

Old joke. After the Pope's announcement yesterday that he was not infallible, he issued a statement today saying he'd changed his mind and he was infallible.

And if the will of the people changes?

I think you will find they are classed as Remoaners and therefore inelligible to vote.

The thing is Brexit was won with a series of deceits and lies and the branding of the Remain argument as Project Fear. Almost immediately after the result was in Brexiteers were falling over each other to distance themselves from things like claims on the side of a bus calling it a mistake and so on. Now - as the landscape becomes clearer and the ineptitude of the government is seen the Brexit camp is terrified of any attempt to go back to the nation to ask should they press on or is the deal they eventually get acceptable because they know in that approx 4% winning margin there is no scope for manouvre and the liklihood is they will lose and lose big.

Personally I think Brexit is a mistake. However we are where we are and should have got on with it way more than we have and need to complete a deal in time for the cut off date. I think the eventual result will set the country back economically and socially for years to come and for very few of the gains that Brexit voters thought they were going to get but that was the will of the people as they keep telling us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.