Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ever there was a demonstration of why you need a representative system of democracy, Brexit is it.

The only transitional deal we're going to get from the EU is if during the transition phase we accept all the obligations of budget payments, uncontrolled immigration and ECJ that go hand in hand with free trade.Nor will we be allowed to negotiate our own trade deals during this period.
Why on earth would the EU allow us a time period during which we get to do tariff free and frictionless trade with them with no obligations while we sort our shit out?
Fcuk me the transition phase would (for the UK) be better than any final deal that might be reached!
Time is currently on the EU side at the moment, they're not going to give that away.
Worth bearing in mind also that the EU have stated that they wI'll only agree to a transition phase if there is an 'in principle' outcome agreed between both sides in the two year Article 50 period that has a reasonable chance of getting agreement. That seems unlikely.

The only transitional deal we're going to get from the EU is if during the transition phase we accept all the obligations of budget payments, uncontrolled immigration and ECJ that go hand in hand with free trade.Nor will we be allowed to negotiate our own trade deals during this period.
Why on earth would the EU allow us a time period during which we get to do tariff free and frictionless trade with them with no obligations while we sort our shit out?
Fcuk me the transition phase would (for the UK) be better than any final deal that might be reached!
Time is currently on the EU side at the moment, they're not going to give that away.
Worth bearing in mind also that the EU have stated that they wI'll only agree to a transition phase if there is an 'in principle' outcome agreed between both sides in the two year Article 50 period that has a reasonable chance of getting agreement. That seems unlikely.

Bend over Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...le-market-customs-union-brexit-britain-europe

Interesting article by Barry Gardiner on why we must leave the single market and customs union. I can understand his arguments for leaving those institutions. What I don't get is his conclusion which is that we should reach a bespoke agreement, consistent with Leave voters objectives, not sacrificing existing rights and protections and maintaining friction free access to the single market.

Isn't that just "cake and eat it"?

Surely worth asking what Leavers think of Boris's "reduce some sorts of immigration" and the announcement of a year-long review into the cost and benefit of EU migration (leaving six moths to devise a visa scheme. (Moths was a mistake but then I thought six moths could do better than the government.)

(a) I did my cost-benefit estimate before I voted, (b) They've had 13 moths to think about it. Maybe that's why it has taken so long. May out. Moths in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40734504

Free movement of people between the EU and UK will end in March 2019, UK government ministers have said.

i think this is one of the main things people want and voted for. control and management of who comes into this country, like most countries have. seems sensible to me. if you want to work or live in another country then get a visa, just like with most countries. there will be an implementation period swell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40734504

Free movement of people between the EU and UK will end in March 2019, UK government ministers have said.

i think this is one of the main things people want and voted for. control and management of who comes into this country, like most countries have. seems sensible to me. if you want to work or live in another country then get a visa, just like with most countries. there will be an implementation period swell.
Subject of course to any transitional deal not involving UK to stick to all EU rights and obligations post March 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.