City Football Group (CFG) buy into Chinese club Sichuan Jiuniu FC (from Chengdu)

The Yokohama FM stuff are handled by CFG Japan, who got their offices in Tokyo under the leadership of Takao Toshishige.. So they are very much run as a separate unit

More to the point, the Marinos are Nissan's company team. It's my suspicion that Nissan offered us a share in the club and the chance to reform its operational practices in order to solidify their corporate partnership with us, but they don't want to actually lose control of the club because it is literally a part of their company. Don't forget that in that area of Asia it's frequent for top teams to be actual divisions of multinational companies (or in some countries, even represent different branches of the government). I suspect there's a huge nostalgic/honour-based element that simply won't allow them to be seen to be passing the team over to CFG control.

There's been various talk over the years since we bought into them that CFG wanted to expand their share, but despite all that nothing has ever happened. It doesn't seem to me like there would be any roadblocks in our way save for Nissan simply not being willing to sell any more.

So could we see a situation where China creates players there are over billion people after all and Government support for sport and football is going to be massive they then sell the players to Uruguayan team who then loan them out perhaps to another CFG team perhaps not and then sell them to a club and make a massive profit at a reduced tax rate

I'm not sure how this would help us. In your plan, all of the profit is being generated in Uruguay, but Uruguay is one of the places where investment is less restricted (AFAIK) so that club would have no need for any sort of player development and selling system to be built around it. Meanwhile, any profits made in Uruguay could not be used to assist those clubs in CFG which actually do operate under FFP or salary caps etc.

There's definitely ways that the system can be used to farm out young talents, but I don't see why trying to arrange it as a money-spinner like this would be of use to us - it would be like a billionaire discovering a tax loop he could exploit using an offshore tax haven, but then finding out that any profit he made through the loop could only be spent in shops on that island alone.

Last edited:
More to the point, the Marinos are Nissan's company team. It's my suspicion that Nissan offered us a share in the club and the chance to reform its operational practices in order to solidify their corporate partnership with us, but they don't want to actually lose control of the club because it is literally a part of their company. Don't forget that in that area of Asia it's frequent for top teams to be actual divisions of multinational companies (or in some countries, even represent different branches of the government). I suspect there's a huge nostalgic/honour-based element that simply won't allow them to be seen to be passing the team over to CFG control.

There's been various talk over the years since we bought into them that CFG wanted to expand their share, but despite all that nothing has ever happened. It doesn't seem to me like there would be any roadblocks in our way save for Nissan simply not being willing to sell any more.

I don´t think non-japanese majority owners are allowed in J-League.. Two years ago it was not allowed at least

http://footballchannel.asia/2014/11/16/post524/

I don´t think non-japanese majority owners are allowed in J-League.. Two years ago it was not allowed at least

http://footballchannel.asia/2014/11/16/post524/

It's not. It's somewhat up in the air as to whether you are allowed to have a foreign company own a Japanese company which itself becomes a majority owner, though. There were a number of stories at least a year ago saying that CFG Japan had been established precisely to sidestep that rule...yet nothing has come of it. Makes me believe that either it doesn't work like that (although I'd have expected to see a news story confirming) or CFG simply don't have the will.

Would it ever be possible for us to monopolise football?

If we had first dibs on special talents from each continent via our clubs that we'll control, we will hoover up all of the best talent on the planet and surely become the worlds first hyperclub?

Could a situation ever arise where we have the best player in the world for every single position? Because that seems to be what we're aiming for!

If we had first dibs on special talents from each continent via our clubs that we'll control, we will hoover up all of the best talent on the planet and surely become the worlds first hyperclub?

Could a situation ever arise where we have the best player in the world for every single position? Because that seems to be what we're aiming for!

Would be nice but I doubt it. We could certainly put in place a killer youth production line (although let's not forget that right now most of our clubs are not based in countries known for creating top talents, or with a culture of bringing kids up playing football from birth) but honestly the majority of the world's best players tend to be the ones overlooked by the major clubs until they are old enough to warrant a multi-million pound transfer fee.

This has been happening at the "youth" level for quite a while. Back in the early 2000's, Englands big clubs starting going into the United States and purchasing the top tier youth programs in hopes of finding and cultivating athletes from a young age in the U.S. Looks like we are like "screw it, let's just do the same thing but with professional clubs". You can see how well that has done them...

This has been happening at the "youth" level for quite a while. Back in the early 2000's, Englands big clubs starting going into the United States and purchasing the top tier youth programs in hopes of finding and cultivating athletes from a young age in the U.S. Looks like we are like "screw it, let's just do the same thing but with professional clubs". You can see how well that has done them...

You don´t think CFG buy clubs to benefit Manchester City do you?..

My understanding about Deportivo Maldonado is that they're essentially a tax haven. Uruguay have some very beneficial tax laws for football clubs so that could explain why City would also start a club there as opposed to some other countries in SA.

If we are going to move into South America I would have though that Argentina, would have been a better choice Uruguay. Mainly because of our Argentinian connection.

I understand what people are saying but look at it this way
If we want to build a club in certain countries to compete and grow/expand our appeal with success in each side, then Uruguay is such a better option than Argentina

We have clubs in America, Japan, Australia.. Ok?
All of which are weak nations RE their footballing leagues, albeit much more recognisable and seemingly higher grossing nations than Uruguay
But we have a much larger chance of success with the actual football team we are setting up in such countries than if we go to Argentina and try to stick a side into their primera division

I dont know fully, but its much easier to set up franchise sides in USA or Australia isnt it due to the relatively new structures and way those leagues are ran

In argentina we cant just make a side and pop it into their primera league with the likes of River Plate, San Lorenzo, Racing etc
Their leagues are hugely competitive and they have a B division etc where sides are trying to get promoted from, just like in England

MLS/Aussie A League doesnt work like that, you cant get put into the top divisons unless you pay/have the club size and grading, if im not mistaken

I know the Uruguay league will have promotion etc but surely its easier for us to start over down there..

Thats my take on it anyway!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.