Attendances

I had an idea on Saturday about how to improve the atmosphere at games. how about making the entire SSL1 'unreserved seating'. You buy your season ticket for SSL1, then you get in and can stand anywhere you want. That way groups of mates can stand together, people get in earlier to get the best places and people can move towards 1894 group to join in - if they want.

No brainer for me - bring back the 'go with your mates' culture.

blues, we have to stop biting at rags who go on about empty seats! I find it funny if I'm being honest. Yeah there were empties yesterday but the place was full for the most part and yet again nearly 54k turned up!

I said it much earlier in the season that if most of the away teams brought there full 3.5k allocation, we would have 54k, 200, 300 or 400 most weeks. To just get short of 54k on Saturday against Crystal Palace ( not United, Arsenal, Spurs etc ) was very good indeed. They just about brought 2 of the 3 sections = 1800 or 1900 fans?, not sure how many it is, so just after an expensive Xmas, it's a great effort.

The next home league game is Leicester, i expect they ( for once ) will bring the full allocation this year - if they don't, they never will, so that should better reflect the gate on the day.

It's fair to say we only expected Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton and possibly either Newcastle and Sunderland to bring fullish allocations, and so far within reason it's been true to form, ( Newcastle didn't quite fill it and Arsenal and Spurs haven't been yet, but I expect them too ) Bournemouth have been the exception and also brought a full away section,

All these teams that give us stick for not filling the ground ( though it's a flakey argument as highlighted above ) want to fill there away end first before saying anything.

Dont see why anyone is actually arsed about empty seats
I mean did anyone see the Barca game last night the top tier was half empty happens all over europe
and the only ones in england who bring it up are from clubs who have nothing else to have a go at us for

I'm the other side of the steps from the aways. There's no way the club would sanction standing up there for all games, it's too steep. We'll get away with it for 3/4 games a season Chelsea, rags, arse etc but that'll be it.
That's what confuses me. That kills the atmosphere. I fully expected the new stand to bring a new atmosphere when we have away fans alongside us. I guess I was wrong

I had an idea on Saturday about how to improve the atmosphere at games. how about making the entire SSL1 'unreserved seating'. You buy your season ticket for SSL1, then you get in and can stand anywhere you want. That way groups of mates can stand together, people get in earlier to get the best places and people can move towards 1894 group to join in - if they want.

No brainer for me - bring back the 'go with your mates' culture.

Firstly part of the whole thing is that the CCTV control rooms need one person in one place, with a name on who bought that seat - if possible.

Secondly you are advocating moving down a slope which got us to the disaster that was football in the 80s. Whilst I can accept the argument of people having an allocated standing spot which basically covers the seat spot, any return to basically free terrace areas means trouble. I know because I spent a lot of time on terraces in the 70s and 80s. I spent a lot of time fighting my way to away (and home) grounds, going to football matches with half-empty terraces because, apart from the main stand, the only people that went were 'lads', like me. Where you took your life in your hands just going to a match.

It's very difficult to explain to younger people but also this myth about packed terraces is just that - a myth. Apart from the big games they were half empty. So half empty you could charge the other fans in places, or vice versa, eg Birmingham - and Heysel!

Crowds were shocking and got worse because nobody wanted to go to football. Sure I enjoyed it at the time, being blind drunk and fighting with Stanley knives etc, not realising there could be another world where the grounds were full and football grew and grew in popularity, where it wasn't just associated with violence and where women and children went as well as people from all backgrounds.

I would never have believed it. Now if I stand too long my back hurts anyway!!!

Last edited:
Firstly part of the whole thing is that the CCTV control rooms need one person in one place, with a name on who bought that seat - if possible.

Secondly you are advocating moving down a slope which got us to the disaster that was football in the 80s. Whilst I can accept the argument of people having an allocated standing spot which basically covers the seat spot, any return to basically free terrace areas means trouble. I know because I spent a lot of time on terraces in the 70s and 80s. i spent a lot of time sfighting my way to away grounds, going to football matches with half-empty terraces becasue, apart from the main stand, the only people that went were 'lads', like me. Where you took your life in your hands just going to a match.

It's very difficult to explain to younger people but also this myth about packed terraces is just that - a myth. Aprt from the big games they were half empty. So half empty you could charge the other fans in places, or vice versa, eg Birmingham - and Heysel!

Crowds were shocking and got worse because nobody wanted to go to football. Sure I enjoyed it at the time, being blind drunk and fighting with Stanley knives etc, not realising there could be another world where the grounds were full and football grew and grew in popularity, where it wasn't just associated with violence and where women and children went as well as people from all backgrounds.

I would never have believed it. Now if I stand too long my back hurts anyway!!!
My point had literally nothing to do with terracing, nor 'safe standing'. My point is to still use seats, but leave them unreserved like countless other sporting or entertainment events do.

You still have CCTV, you still have stewards, it requires no work to the stand. The only difference is that I can go with a group of my mates, get in the stand half an hour early and we can all sit together. It also means anyone who wants to improve the atmosphere can sit together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.