Average age of our current team/squad.

In normally distributed data the mean and median are usually the same or approximately so.

(we should of course decide whether to use the arithmetic mean the geometric mean or the harmonic mean ;-)

Absolutely. And let's not forget the Pinball Wizard, who played a mean pinball. If Pete Townshend knew his stuff, he would have specified which "mean" he meant to mean.

We have a very young team at the moment but it never seems to get mentioned even though we are playing amazing football. Usually your goalie increases the average age but not with Ederson in the team.

Imagine if 'josie's babes' were playing this way, you would never hear the end of it.

Anyway does anyone know where we stand in the premier league standings regarding average age?
But to be fair all the Rags youngsters come through their youth system. ;)

Well the median isn't a measure of distribution either. It's just a big arrow pointing to the middle of a data set.

median
ˈmiːdɪən/
adjective
  1. Denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.

median
ˈmiːdɪən/
adjective
  1. Denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
Again, the median doesn't tell me anything about the distribution except where the middle is. Is it a Normal distribution? Or do you need to approximate with a T test? Is it Binomial, Poisson etc? Is there skew? What are the outliers like and where are they?

Again, the median doesn't tell me anything about the distribution except where the middle is. Is it a Normal distribution? Or do you need to approximate with a T test? Is it Binomial, Poisson etc? Is there skew? What are the outliers like and where are they?

Ah, now you're bringing out your Uzi against my pea-shooter. I'm tempted to escalate by querying your standard deviation at this point. However, I wouldn't want to fall foul of the COC ;)

Ah, now you're bringing out your Uzi against my pea-shooter. I'm tempted to escalate by querying your standard deviation at this point. However, I wouldn't want to fall foul of the COC ;)
I'm glad you're taking this well, but yeah I'm armed to the brim in this one :)

Don't worry next time someone says this to you you'll be more than well prepared ;)

That sounds a bit patronising, although I'm sure that wasn't the intention.

I did actually study all that shit at uni, back in the day. As usual, most gets forgotten unless you are using it regularly. I do use remuneration surveys frequently, though, where the orthodoxy is to put most store by percentiles, including median, rather than arithmetic means, for reasons you will no doubt understand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.