Away fan seat allocation

spiny

England is unique in the number of fans who travel to attend away games and to create the atmosphere and capacity attendances that make the premier League the most watched and richest in the world.

I always liked Fulham where the away end morphs into the neutral end giving ticketing flexibility for us away supporters beyond the ticket allocation. I recognise that better supported clubs can sell all their home tickets but I question the rule as it stands with the new larger capacity stadiums.

A special Premier League agreement caps the price of away tickets at £30 for three seasons from 2016/17. This is limited to an allocation of 10% of capacity up to a maximum of 3k with more for cup games.

Premier League clubs have agreed a new rule whereby away supporters will be seated together at all stadiums and at least one block of away fans will be made available pitch side to improve the atmosphere.

Man Utd and Newcastle have not yet implemented this agreement and have been the main beneficiaries of larger grounds keeping the relatively small proportion of away supporters (including any empty seats) away from the pitch and out of sight. The reason deemed for safety from the police rather than reducing capacity even though it generally means fans being kept behind until home supporters have left which negates many arguments over segregation whilst raising others.

Which are the best grounds for away fans? Should there be away supporter safe standing as most already stand? What are the expectations for the growing number of away supporters? These are issues we need to raise now if we ever to be heard.

What growing number of away supporters?
The 3,000 or 10% rule has been around for several years and there are actually fewer travelling fans since clubs offering large allocations such as Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton have been relegated and replaced by clubs with below average visiting allocations such as Bournemouth, Burnley and Watford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.