awaydays film

lee-mcfc said:
shite film,shite acting, and mad wool accents

I thought Liam Boyle was fantastic as Elvis.

Finally a Yob flick that didn't glorify violence as something positive.

The book is superb. The film much less so.

It languished for many years in development hell and if the original backers FilmFour hadnt gone belly up then it would have been a vastly superior portrayal of the book. Unfortunately, in the end, Sampson understandably made some compromises just to get it made.

I remember years back meeting him and he asked if I wanted to appear in the street scene. Basically a load of us would get pissed (at FilmFour's expense) then be tumbled out into the street to have a pretend kick-off.
Alas he also mentioned there was another 'hooligan' film on the horizon and whichever one got made first would probably ruin the chances of the other.
It was called Green Street and, as we now know, it was shit.

Please guys, dont be put off by the slightly disappointing film if you havent yet enjoyed the book. Its an incredible piece of work.

Mrs P bought me this on its release a couple of years ago. I watched it and looked like I was enjoying it. In truth though it was shocking. The only part I raised a smile was when after his sister got messed about with by that lad the main character goes into that social club where there's loads of rubgy bods. 'Which one of you's is ****?' he says, before getting head butted and knocked the fuck out. Made me laugh the way he said that though, 'which one of you's is ****?'

Other than that it was fucking shit.

That's the thing Pige, in the book that scene is sensationally good.

Me and my mates had an obsession about it for ages and would quote extracts to each other endlessly.
We all got invited up to the premiere in Yorkshire but unfortunately I couldnt make it.
They went and met the cast afterwards etc and came back raving about it, saying it was all they'd hoped it would be and more.

So now I'm ridiculously excited and wait for a week or two before my mate sorts out his downloaded copy to show me.

I sit and watch it - with him pretty much looking at me throughout for my reaction rather than the film (he'd already seen it countless times within that week) - and just feel flat.
It was a huge huge let-down for me and not a patch on the book.

The performances are very good but the script fell between two stools. It tried to introduce a mainstream audience to that world yet also attempted to retain its heart. In the end it acheived neither for me.

Soundtrack is incredible though :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.