Aymeric Laporte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, possibly, imminently.

Personally, I don't rate him and would rather have Evans.

He never convinced me he was good enough when we were in the first time. His heading is all over the shop and he's another who struggles when he is forced to turn and get back in.
Otamendi plays that left-hand side and has just signed a new deal.

The real issue is cover for the right when Stones is not fit and the unreliability of Vinny.

Laporte can't play on the right of a pairing.

For the money being touted, would rather get Evans as back-up for Otamendi (Fernandinho has already proved he is also able to do it)

We need to pay big bucks for another right-sided central defender.

Has he got 2 legs, if he has would take him over JFE

Yep. With you on this one. It's an awful lot of money for a player who hasn't looked close to fulfilling his potential

What makes you say this? He's highly rated in La Liga and was absolutely dominant last season.

and would be essentially our 3rd choice centre half.

Maybe, but he's a long term first choice centre half and Evans is nothing more than a plug-in who will be exceedingly divisive.

Only reason I can think of why Pep might be keen on him is if we shift to a back 3 when Mendy is fit.

Could be, but I'd imagine the following reasons may be applicable:
1. He's a left-footed, ball playing, John Stones-esque central defender who has all the tools to succeed in a Pep team.
2. He's only 23, the same age as Stones, and could form the heart of our squad for a decade.
3. He has a release clause that means, if he wants to leave, the club have no say whatsoever on if he goes, West Brom need money for a striker and JFE isn't worth anything north of 15 mill, but they'll demand it regardless.

I've been watching him for years and, with the possible exception of @Bill , have been the most vocal poster on here about us getting him even after what happened in 2016. He's perfect for us and a long term partner for Stones is a box that we need ticked, and clearly Pep sees that too. Prices are only going up, as VVD proved, and you won't get anyone half as close to what Pep is looking for for much less.

All I can say is after the farce of the last time we went for him, we must be absolutely certain he wants to join this time if we’re briefing about out interest again

What makes you say this? He's highly rated in La Liga and was absolutely dominant last season.

Maybe, but he's a long term first choice centre half and Evans is nothing more than a plug-in who will be exceedingly divisive.

Could be, but I'd imagine the following reasons may be applicable:
1. He's a left-footed, ball playing, John Stones-esque central defender who has all the tools to succeed in a Pep team.
2. He's only 23, the same age as Stones, and could form the heart of our squad for a decade.
3. He has a release clause that means, if he wants to leave, the club have no say whatsoever on if he goes, West Brom need money for a striker and JFE isn't worth anything north of 15 mill, but they'll demand it regardless.

I've been watching him for years and, with the possible exception of @Bill , have been the most vocal poster on here about us getting him even after what happened in 2016. He's perfect for us and a long term partner for Stones is a box that we need ticked, and clearly Pep sees that too. Prices are only going up, as VVD proved, and you won't get anyone half as close to what Pep is looking for for much less.

Good post

do we have room in our squad for both fred and laporte if they come this window?

Yes, if we exclude Mangala from the CL squad (or get rid of him) then we have two spaces free for the Champions League. Premier League isn't an issue within the squad numbers as we have Jesus who doesn't need to be registered as he qualifies as U21.

Maybe, possibly, imminently.

Personally, I don't rate him and would rather have Evans.

He never convinced me he was good enough when we were in the first time. His heading is all over the shop and he's another who struggles when he is forced to turn and get back in.
Otamendi plays that left-hand side and has just signed a new deal.

The real issue is cover for the right when Stones is not fit and the unreliability of Vinny.

Laporte can't play on the right of a pairing.

For the money being touted, would rather get Evans as back-up for Otamendi (Fernandinho has already proved he is also able to do it)

We need to pay big bucks for another right-sided central defender.

Otamendi plays on the right just fine, he's spent the vast majority of his career on the right and is right footed.

I think the fact that the 3 CB's we've been linked to - Evans, Umtiti and Laporte - are all left sided suggests Guardiola thinks we need a left sider.

+ He's not Jonny Fucking Evans
+ His release clause seems like pocket change nowadays
+ Only 23 years old
+ Decent defender, terrific on the ball, has an eye for a pass and left footed
+ Not cup-tied
- Susceptible to the same weaknesses of ball playing CBS
- Snubbed us
- Is FFP still a thing?

Would still prefer Skriniar TBH but he's definitely good enough for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.