Aymeric Laporte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we go and spend so much money, hopefully Ferran & Txiki will look at teams above us and learn from them.

Otamendi & Mangala cost more than the whole defenders of the teams above us.

You may as well dismiss 90% of posts on here going by that logic.

I do. Most of the posts in the transfer forum do not take into consideration that Pep is coming. People don't seem to understand how much his unique philosophy (and his unwavering commitment to it) will influence who we buy. For any other manager, spending 80 million pounds on Laporte and Stones might be madness...but for Pep, it just makes sense. I dearly hope the fans don't turn on him like they Germans did because he doesn't live up to what a manager in the PL is "supposed" to do.

I do. Most of the posts in the transfer forum do not take into consideration that Pep is coming. People don't seem to understand how much his unique philosophy (and his unwavering commitment to it) will influence who we buy. For any other manager, spending 80 million pounds on Laporte and Stones might be madness...but for Pep, it just makes sense. I dearly hope the fans don't turn on him like they Germans did because he doesn't live up to what a manager in the PL is "supposed" to do.

You mean we haven't stalked him for three years and appointed him so the FIFA 13 brigade can tell him who to buy and how to manage?????

Spot on - we simply can't take the (unique) Guardiola element out of transfers, formation(s), tactics or anything else. We've got him - at long last - let's just sit back and enjoy the ride. New players will come, some established players will go, academy products will come in and we stand on the cusp of something new and sensational in English football.

Anyone remember when Denayer walked away with young player of the year award (at CB) two seasons ago, then debuted for the senior Belgium national team at the same position (against France) to a standing ovation and man of the match award?

I understand how Gala has shifted him to RB to suit their needs, and I understand how posters here have shifted him to suit their needs (or impressions), but it's crazy to me that we're not considering Jason a viable 4th choice CB.

Martin is obviously going. If Pep put his foot down and insisted on one new CB, then it makes sense (despite the brutal financial implications) to take the hit on one of Mangala or Otamendi and support the new manager. Two new €50m CB's seems like mismanagement to me, though.

Also for what it's worth, I've read Pep Confidential along with a great deal of the rest of you, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of princess who cries over not getting two new CB's for €100m. On the contrary, everything in the book leans toward Pep figuring out how to get the best out of what's already there. Seems a shame that we're not looking at that as a possible recourse. Maybe some of these players can be coached.

Anyone remember when Denayer walked away with young player of the year award (at CB) two seasons ago, then debuted for the senior Belgium national team at the same position (against France) to a standing ovation and man of the match award?

I understand how Gala has shifted him to RB to suit their needs, and I understand how posters here have shifted him to suit their needs (or impressions), but it's crazy to me that we're not considering Jason a viable 4th choice CB.

Martin is obviously going. If Pep put his foot down and insisted on one new CB, then it makes sense (despite the brutal financial implications) to take the hit on one of Mangala or Otamendi and support the new manager. Two new €50m CB's seems like mismanagement to me, though.

Our needs starting in July is to have players that can play very fast, very attacking possession football in upwards of 3 positions. That to me makes Denayer very valuable. As to the other CBs. I think we can assume MDM is gone, but the rest who knows. If we buy Stones he certainly will play at CB but where else does Pep plan on playing him. What about Kompany? Is he a CB for Pep or is he a midfielder or is he sold this summer. This is another post that looks at Laporte and Stones without the context of Pep.

Our needs starting in July is to have players that can play very fast, very attacking possession football in upwards of 3 positions. That to me makes Denayer very valuable. As to the other CBs. I think we can assume MDM is gone, but the rest who knows. If we buy Stones he certainly will play at CB but where else does Pep plan on playing him. What about Kompany? Is he a CB for Pep or is he a midfielder or is he sold this summer. This is another post that looks at Laporte and Stones without the context of Pep.

Sorry if my two separate posts divorced my thoughts, but I very much have Pep in mind. I know how he likes to play, and I understand how he fields a team of multitaskers comfortable in possession.

I also read the part where he is passionate and adament about having a 16-18 man roster, and believes that anything beyond that is toxic to the dressing room. Given the the value of any new additions then -- in the sense that they are taking up one of those spots, rather than any kind of financial sense of the word -- I would hope that we spread some of the immediate needs (like both fullbacks, central midfield, etc.) around.

And like I said in my second original post, his passion is also coaching (rather than scouting) and he seems happy to work with what's in front of him. He never gives up on a player who hasn't given up on him, so maybe it's worth trying preseason with a couple of our prior, expensive CB's (plus Denayer) to see if the needs aren't met with one (rather than two) new addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.