Barca v City Post Match Thread

To be honest , I don't think they will fall anytime soon. There will certainly be a transition for them but they have some very good players coming through. But when Messi finally leaves, it will be a major earthquake that is for sure.

As for the game, we missed the opportunity to take it the extra level and get a good result because of the mentality issue and is something that will needs to change for the second leg.
What mentality issue. Could of been level at least at half time having been very competitive in a close game. Second half just getting a head of steam up when bravos mistake cost us the game. The extra man counted, despite which we still created. Fair enough couple of sloppy mistakes at 2 nil but that's not a mental issue. That's what comes of chasing the ball against the best passing team in the world when you only have 10 men and are 2 nil down.
Seen us play Barcelona a few times and this is the first time I can honestly say we were pretty close despite the scoreline. Hart has had MOTM performances in previous games to prevent worse score lines than this. Losing only by the odd goal was always false, they usually battered us. Not on Wednesday despite the scoreline.
My only gripe was not seeing Sergio when piquet went off.

What mentality issue. Could of been level at least at half time having been very competitive in a close game. Second half just getting a head of steam up when bravos mistake cost us the game. The extra man counted, despite which we still created. Fair enough couple of sloppy mistakes at 2 nil but that's not a mental issue. That's what comes of chasing the ball against the best passing team in the world when you only have 10 men and are 2 nil down.
Seen us play Barcelona a few times and this is the first time I can honestly say we were pretty close despite the scoreline. Hart has had MOTM performances in previous games to prevent worse score lines than this. Losing only by the odd goal was always false, they usually battered us. Not on Wednesday despite the scoreline.
My only gripe was not seeing Sergio when piquet went off.

The mentality issue is difficult to readily identify especially when incidents and the performance looked good in terms of how we got into good and positive positions before the red card.However, I believe the players were not able to freely express ourselves and we were tentative, nervous and lacked belief. This is my perspective or take on our performance.If we expressed ourselves more confidently, we would have been able to capitalize on the tactical advantage, good situations and opportunities during the game. Football is all random and who knows what would have happened but in terms of events and incidents- looked good but did not take it further because of the issues I have mentioned, then the red card happened and then the game was essentially over.

Back in the Middle Ages when Sven was our manager my son and I went to the Chelsea v City game .... City played their game and Chelsea played theirs .... we got beat 6-0

On the way out amongst the City fans we heard the guy in front say to his mates ".... apart from the goals I thought we played rather well..."

I hope he went to the Barcelona game and cheered everyone up on the way out.

It takes perspective to be a City fan and it can take some time to acquire it.

Come on City

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4-0 is a very harsh and unfair result that does not look good for optics or inference on progress.Our tactics in a mechanical sense was very good and worked against Barcelona. The problem was the mentality of the players. They played without conviction, without belief, scared and tentative. So when the tactics allowed us to get into good positions, especially in behind their defense, the players were too tight and mentally switched off to make the most of those situations. Our midfield dominated their midfield but the players were also tight and tentative, and that played out and led to the first goal- Fernandinho nervously slipping and not getting up and then Otamendi allowing Messi to get on the loose ball. The tentativeness, tightness and poor mentality also led to the goal keeper's scared attempt to pass the ball, which led to the misplaced pass, his red card and this consequently finished the football match.

This may be due to the constant subliminal innuendos from the manager about how Barcelona are the ''best'' ever since the draw was made, or the manager did not instill genuine belief in the players that the match could be won or the players just did not believe themselves. Whatever it was, it is very disappointing that the players could not embrace the stage and freely express themselves and their talents. The only player that had the ''Ill take this on'' mentality was Sterling. I suppose Gundugan played well enough but for the others, especially when we created chances like the Stones header, he was too mentality switched off to actually head and direct the ball. De Bruyne (whose mental inconsistency has to be at least noted) and Nolito got in good positions but were too hasty and not composed to make the final ball count.We played like robots most of the match.

The mentality of the Barcelona players was not that great as well, for whatever reason. Their midfield was poor- Iniesta, Rakitic and Bosquets, as I have already said, lost the battle against our midfield. But due to individual errors on our part and some luck.. and some composed play from Messi and Neymar and co, they punished us in the final third. So Barcelona did not play that well either. Luckily for our team, the bad mentality did not lead to injuries like some of the Barcelona players. (when the mind suffers, the body cries out and so on..) So at least there were no injuries.

It was a strange tactical match without any real energy and freedom of expression (Messi is expression personified so you will always get some form of expression from him)- and the game was essentially decided by mistakes and bad incidents. It was fairly even and we looked even more dangerous and created more openings until the red card ofcourse.

This game showed that we have the footballing quality to match any team in the world if we have the belief and the right mentality, ask Athletic Madrid,.... and this has to be installed on the players..again.
I agree with most of your post as it was well thought out and explained well but a few of the conclusions I feel, were a little off
I don't look at Peps respect for Barca as a negative innuendo, rather a respect to them and a fair warning to our Boys.
I also don't find our team weak of mentality as individuals but certainly a fledgling group working towards a goal. A lot has been said about the 4-0 score line and how we mostly did very well considering the opponent. But, I haven't heard anything about how the team felt going to the Camp playing for Pep against (basically)his team,playing (basically) the same style, and the added pressure that may have brought. Camp Nou, CL, under Pep,there were a lot of underlying issues that may have attributed to our boys play on Wed.
And with all that possibly taken in they still did well and can take much from the match. As you well know 3 months does not make a team, and we will see where we are against them at home....

The mentality issue is difficult to readily identify especially when incidents and the performance looked good in terms of how we got into good and positive positions before the red card.However, I believe the players were not able to freely express ourselves and we were tentative, nervous and lacked belief. This is my perspective or take on our performance.If we expressed ourselves more confidently, we would have been able to capitalize on the tactical advantage, good situations and opportunities during the game. Football is all random and who knows what would have happened but in terms of events and incidents- looked good but did not take it further because of the issues I have mentioned, then the red card happened and then the game was essentially over.
I'm not sure what you're post is trying to convey? Are you saying we were shit even before the red card, or are you saying we were really good, then it went tits up after the red card? I'm sure we can make our views far easier to understand, if we simply try to make the context and conclusion easily readable for everybody. After all, it is a general forum and not a court of law.

No words can really describe how we were totally outplayed in all areas. Just my opinion.

I have to say that is imo a terrible evaluation. The game plan saw us on top until it went to ratshit due to slips and total calamities of individuals. I think the only reason this site did not explode is because in their heart of hearts the glass half empties saw that we were doing well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.