Basque and Catalan groups protest ''Tourists Go Home''

I don't like the way a lot of us treat Spain - like a warm pub. This issue should've been raised a looong time ago. Bit late now. There are ghost towns ruining the landscape already through failed tourism ventures. But don't worry, we'll be off soon. If you need a wage, come to England and be a geriatric nurse please. Please.

Hasn't the new mayor of Barcelona already vowed to reduce tourist numbers? Seem to remember reading something about it earlier this year

Actively showing hostility to temporary incomers who intend to boost your economy by millions, is totally
idiotic. Most countries have a lively tourism promotion department, we see regular adverts persuading us to
visit their countries, and tourism is vital to Spain. I agree that there have been some abortions flung up
in places but to seek to actively petition against visitors who give a massive boost to the region involved
makes no sense.

Actively showing hostility to temporary incomers who intend to boost your economy by millions, is totally
idiotic. Most countries have a lively tourism promotion department, we see regular adverts persuading us to
visit their countries, and tourism is vital to Spain. I agree that there have been some abortions flung up
in places but to seek to actively petition against visitors who give a massive boost to the region involved
makes no sense.
Stopped going to Spain years ago after a barman on a beach bar on Denia beach started being a funny fucker and did everything to serve me last or not serve me at all even though i had my young kids with me, the then Wife said fuck it we are not coming here again
We relented 5 years later and went to Gran Canaria and the Canarians were slightly better but still a bit iffy sometimes, seemed they wanted the German money and not ours
Two years later had to go to a family wedding in Fuengirola and the Spanish made it obvious of their contempt for all things English, and no i was not being paranoid a lot of other people in the hotel were of the same opinion, never been back since, it's Greece or Malta for me and probably Croatia next June, fuck em, hope the country goes bankrupt

Just back from a week in Mallorca and was in Palma the night the restaraunt got stormed. Saw a few protestors around the harbour earlier on and wondered what it was all about.

When i first read on this a few months back, the issue was with leviathan cruise liners depositing two or three thousand tourists at a time, and with 5 cruise liners at once pulling in, it's a tidal wave of tourists all in one go. Similar to the Venice problem that's been in the news recently. I was in Rhodes town a few years ago, and three cruise liners had pulled in, and you could hardly move in the town, the streets were rammed.

The property prices going beyond the pocket of locals is a problem which goes way beyond Spain. This is an issue related to wealth and being able to afford second holiday homes. Certain wonderful tourist locations in Devon and Cornwall have prohibited anyone but locals from buying houses in the area. Similar with the Lake District. This to allow local people to be able to afford to live where they were born, without any local house coming on the market being hoovered up by "out of town" money looking for holiday homes and holiday rental investments.

I've stayed in some lovely places in the UK, and if you talk to locals at any length, they nearly all complain that house prices are rising way beyond local people being able to afford due to demand for second holiday homes, and that in the winter months, the place is question is nigh on dead, with all the holiday properties lying empty.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.