Bayern Munich want Mark Hughes?

edgecroft

From the Telegraph
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8386826/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-tops-list-in-Bayern-Munich-head-hunt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -hunt.html</a>

Fulham manager Mark Hughes tops list in Bayern Munich head hunt
Mark Hughes heads a three-strong shortlist to become the new head coach of Bayern Munich. The Fulham manager, a former Bayern player, is understood to have been targeted by the club’s president, Uli Hoeness, and an approach may be made in the next few days.
mark-hughes_1850282c.jpg

By Jason Burt 10:50PM GMT 16 Mar 2011

Bayern are also considering Bayern Leverkusen coach Jupp Heynkes, who has stalled on contract negotiations at his present club, and former Germany captain Matthias Sammer, who has had managerial jobs at Borussia Dortmund and Stuttgart and who is working for the German Football Federation.

Bayern’s coach, Louis van Gaal, was told last week that his contract would be terminated at the end of this season after suggestions for some time that the Dutchman would go despite having one more year left.

The German champions have struggled in the league this season, were knocked out of the domestic cup and went out of the Champions League to Inter Milan on Tuesday night despite winning the away leg.

Fulham would be an intriguing choice for Bayern, the club he played for in the late 1980s, on loan from Barcelona, when Hoeness was the general manager.

The former Manchester City manager joined Fulham at the end of last August, after Martin Jol turned down the post, although soon after his appointment there were discussions at Aston Villa as to whether they should approach him to replace Martin O’Neill.

It was announced that Hughes had signed a two-year deal but it is understood there may be an agreement in his contract which means he could leave at the end of this campaign without compensation being paid.

Bayern are investigating how much it would cost to hire Hughes, and if there would be any compensation involved, and whether he would be determined to bring his backroom staff with him.

Hughes works with a tight network of staff who have been with him for some time and it is likely he would want to bring the likes of Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki.

If Bayern do decide to approach Fulham over Hughes, 47, it would be a bold move by the club and would also be tempting for the highly-ambitious manager.

Hughes’s managerial career began with a five-year stint in charge of Wales, whom he almost took to the Euro 204 finals, only a play-off defeat to Russia by a single goal over the two legs denied him.

He then spent four impressive seasons at Blackburn Rovers, leading them to three domestic cup semi-finals and establishing them in the top half of the Premier League.

Hughes left Ewood Park for City in the summer of 2008 and weeks into his reign the club were taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group, who harshly sacked him in December the following year.

Fulham had a difficult spell in the first half of the season, with a squad badly affected by injury and the exertions of the last campaign when they reached the Europa League final under Roy Hodgson.

There was a fear that Hughes was going to be sacked around Christmas time. An away victory at Stoke City began the team’s rally and Hughes’s stock has continued to rise.

Hughes is understood to be happy at Fulham and there is no great urgency for him to leave Craven Cottage. However if Bayern were to follow up their interest with a serious offer it might be difficult for him to turn down a club of their stature and resources.

Loyalty cuts two ways.

If you're prepared to break a contract and walk out on your manager's job... then don't gripe when clubs also break the contract to dismiss you.

Fuck me some shit gets written these days

"Right lads Van Gaal is leaving Bayern at the end of the season link a British manager with them"

"boss what about Hughes"

"brilliant"

Chick Counterfly said:
Christ, who wrote that?

Jupp Heyncke has already been offered the job informally.

My ITK tols me Hughes is going to turn Bayern down and join Real Madrid in the summer on a £400 million a year contract. He already has his transfers sorted, RSC, Bellamy and Bridge are all going there for a combined fee of £80 million and 2 rice krispie cakes

Now we know why his PR machine made bullshit story link him to Bayern yesterday.
Mark Hughes targets new Fulham deal to fend off interest from Bayern Munich

Mark Hughes has swung the door open for Fulham to offer him a new long-term contract after Sportsmail revealed he was on Bayern Munich’s shortlist of candidates to replace outgoing manager Louis van Gaal, a role that now seems certain to go to Jupp Heynckes.

The former Manchester City chief’s current contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of next season.

‘I have no influence on when talks could start about a new contract,’ said Hughes. ‘That would have to come from the club, not me. But I’d like those type of conversations if I’m perfectly honest.

‘If the club feel I’m doing a good a job and that’s what they want to do then I’m open to it.’ On the prospect of a return to Munich, Hughes added: ‘The reports were flattering but I’m happy doing what I’m doing at the moment.

‘It shows how fickle football is. It was only a couple of months ago I was being tipped for the sack and now I’m being linked with one of the biggest jobs in Europe.’

Dickson Etuhu returned to training yesterday after recovering from a hamstring strain but Steve Sidwell will miss Saturday’s clash against Everton with a knee injury.

Meanwhile, Hughes will let Diomansy Kamara decide if he wants to move to Leicester, who are interested in signing the striker on loan.

dailymail

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.