Belgian squad EC 2016

Belgium remind me of England in around 2004/2006. Lots of talent and in paper a really good side but ultimately will probably deliver very little.

2014 World Cup saw Belgium reach the quarter finals. However they were poor all the way through the tournament despite winning all 3 group games.

I've been asked to write a blog on Belgium for a sports betting website I'm a member of. Your write up has been very useful to me. Cheers.

Quick question though. Will Fellaini not feature in the starting eleven? He seemed to feature during qualification quite a lot and also got a few goals. Is he more likely to be used late in a game when a goal is needed and a more direct approach adopted?

I think Lombaerts would be lacking speed and tactical awareness at LB.
SO I'd partner Alderweireld with Lombaerts on CB, play Denayer at RB and Vertonghen as a left back.
Never understood why he didn't even bother to call up Richie De Laet or Poccognoli. Admittedly, not greatest quality, but still, reliable.
For me Dembele and Nainggolan should always start as CM's. They've both had very solid seasons and they both are way more direct in their type of play.

No idea why he took Benteke along after they season he's had. I would have taken Lukaku, Batshuayi and Origi for strikers, that way we could have added Mirallas as a flank player,
the guy has rarely disappointed for the national team.

Either way, given the opponents we have to face, I seriously doubt we'll be going very far. Fingers crossed!

Quick question though. Will Fellaini not feature in the starting eleven? He seemed to feature during qualification quite a lot and also got a few goals. Is he more likely to be used late in a game when a goal is needed and a more direct approach adopted?

He used to be one of the first names on the team sheet, but lately especially Nainggolan has gained status and Dembele seems to have reinvented himself, so he's gone down a bit in the pecking order. So you're prolly right about the way he will be used.

Would you say the probable starting XI will be:
Courtois, Toby, Denayer, Lombaerts/Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Nianggolan, Witsel, De Bruyne, Carrasco, Hazard, Lukaku?

Although if I remember correctly, Wilmots likes playing Fellaini

That's indeed the most likely starting XI for Wilmots.

Fellaini has been a back-up ever since Wilmots named De Bruyne as his standard central attacking midfielder.

Before, De Bruyne would often play at right wing & Hazard at left wing, and Fellaini would be the central attacking midfielder. Luckily, with some fresh blood coming in on the wings (Carrasco to name the most important one), that's no longer the case.

Wilmots now only uses Fellaini if he needs to "move the bus" in the last ten or fifteen minutes of the game.

I think Lombaerts would be lacking speed and tactical awareness at LB.
SO I'd partner Alderweireld with Lombaerts on CB, play Denayer at RB and Vertonghen as a left back.
Never understood why he didn't even bother to call up Richie De Laet or Poccognoli. Admittedly, not greatest quality, but still, reliable.
For me Dembele and Nainggolan should always start as CM's. They've both had very solid seasons and they both are way more direct in their type of play.

No idea why he took Benteke along after they season he's had. I would have taken Lukaku, Batshuayi and Origi for strikers, that way we could have added Mirallas as a flank player,
the guy has rarely disappointed for the national team.

Either way, given the opponents we have to face, I seriously doubt we'll be going very far. Fingers crossed!
Agree with pretty much everything.
Opponents shouldn't be the problem though (except Germany possibly in QF), it's more our own tactics, especially defense I'm worried about.

Exactly.
Nainggolan, Witsel & KDB will start in central MF no matter what.
And I believe the first one in the pecking order to replace is now probably Dembélé.
Fellaini is for trying to break down a defence in the dying minutes of the game.
I don't even think Wilmots will select him for much longer once the EC's are over. New central midfielders breaking through (Thorgan Hazard, Youri Thielemans, Sven Kums etc.)

Fellaini is for trying to break down a defence in the dying minutes of the game.
I don't even think Wilmots will select him for much longer once the EC's are over. New central midfielders breaking through (Thorgan Hazard, Youri Thielemans, Sven Kums etc.)

But none of them have Fellaini's unique profile. Tielemans is seriously disappointing at Anderlecht, Thorgan Hazard is more of a "10" and Sven Kums will need a move to a bigger competition if he ever wants to be part of the selection.

But none of them have Fellaini's unique profile.

None of those midfielders no, but Benteke can play that role, and as a matter of fact is already used in that way by Klopp at Liverpool, and not without success (9 goals + some assists). As a plus, I think Benteke is technically far superior to Fellaini, and doesn't do as much dammage to our reputation (with all the elbowing and stuff). So I don't think Fellaini's profile is enough as an argument to keep him on board. Admittedly, he has played a major part in the past campaigns with his goals.

As for the midfielders, what Belgium needs imo is more creativity, technique, directness ... attributes that Fellaini certainly doesn't have. So I'd rather we add a few playmakers (T. Hazard, Kums) to or squad than physical players like Fellaini. That's just my opnion of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.