Belgian squad EC 2016

Wilmots reconfirmed on RTBF yesterday that Jason Denayer is his ideal replacement for Kompany.
He openly (& quite bluntly) stated that the back-up wingbacks Jordan Lukaku (younger brother of, playing at Oostende in Belgium) & Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge, Belgium) are not good enough defensively (because mainly an attacking wing role in their club & not tested sufficiently in the (poor) Belgian division) to be part of the starting IX, so he'll keep Alderweireld at RB & Vertonghen at LB.
Why he would think that Denayer, 20y old and playing in the equally poor Turkish league, is better tested, I don't know ...
And why he never even thought of putting Denayer at RB with his pace & Alderweireld at CB, is even more of a mistery to me.
I'm pretty sure we'll make it through the groups, but QF is the maximum if we line up like this defensively.
Oh yeah, he also confirmed that Lukaku is going to be his number one striker (before the likes of Benteke, Batshuayi & Origi) ... I really don't get what the use is of making that statement more than 3 weeks before the game, but that's probably just me. I also regret his decision, because Lukaku (bar as a sub v USA, and bar v Croatia) ALWAYS disappoints for Belgium. Ah well ... it's just the Euros

Wilmots reconfirmed on RTBF yesterday that Jason Denayer is his ideal replacement for Kompany.
He openly (& quite bluntly) stated that the back-up wingbacks Jordan Lukaku (younger brother of, playing at Oostende in Belgium) & Thomas Meunier (Club Brugge, Belgium) are not good enough defensively (because mainly an attacking wing role in their club & not tested sufficiently in the (poor) Belgian division) to be part of the starting IX, so he'll keep Alderweireld at RB & Vertonghen at LB.
Why he would think that Denayer, 20y old and playing in the equally poor Turkish league, is better tested, I don't know ...
And why he never even thought of putting Denayer at RB with his pace & Alderweireld at CB, is even more of a mistery to me.
I'm pretty sure we'll make it through the groups, but QF is the maximum if we line up like this defensively.
Oh yeah, he also confirmed that Lukaku is going to be his number one striker (before the likes of Benteke, Batshuayi & Origi) ... I really don't get what the use is of making that statement more than 3 weeks before the game, but that's probably just me. I also regret his decision, because Lukaku (bar as a sub v USA, and bar v Croatia) ALWAYS disappoints for Belgium. Ah well ... it's just the Euros

That back 4 does seem strange given how well they habe both played for Tottenham and Denayer, being young and athletic, would do a decent job at RB.

Problem is Denayer was tested as RB and found out in the friendly against Portugal. He was way more solid as a CB.
Hey Jonathan, that's not correct. Belgium started with the following back 4 v Portugal:

RB: G. Gillet; CB: Denayer; CB: Lombaerts; LB: Vermaelen

This was absolutely dramatic, admittedly for a big part because of the awful performance by Gillet at right-back. But Denayer was playing center-back alongside Lombaerts and couldn't handle it either.

It wasn't until late second half (it was already long 2-0 to Portugal) that Wilmots took off Gillet, brought in Jordan Lukaku and switched to the following back 4:

RB: Denayer; CB: Lombaerts; CB: Vermaelen; LB: J. Lukaku

Note that Belgium played significantly better as from that moment, managed to pull a goal back and didn't get into defensive trouble anymore, all that with Denayer at right back.

So, contrary to what you said, Portugal - Belgium is actually a reason more to play Denayer at RB instead of centrally.

Underwhelming performance from Belgium last night. Last minute equalizer vs the Fins courtesy of a Romelu Lukaku tap-in.

Terrible efficiency: 30 attempts v 1 in favor of Belgium but 1-1 the final score ...

Couple of horrible misses especially from Benteke.

Hazard getting a lot of stick again while I personally thought he was the best man on the pitch. KDB not good yesterday, nowhere in the second half.

I refer back to my first piece on Belgium where I think they would better play 3-4-3. No point in keeping a back 4 when you're up against a 6-3-1 formation like we usely are, and we have no full-backs anyway (on repeat, I know).

Courtois,

Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Vermaelen,

De Bruyne, Nainggolan, Witsel, Hazard,

Mertens, Origi, Carrasco

Could do miracles for this team. Allow them to play wider, more attacking force etc.

interesting comments..will watch em closely this summer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.