Ben Davies

betrand or davies would be great for us. both very good at defending and going forward. i think its a bit like the goalie debate. everyones become obsessed with a ball playing goalie, but we need someone who knows how to actually stop shots. its the same with our defenders.
Jesus, get with the times, saving shots is so 2015.

Sagna's main issue which Dax has pretty much summed up without actually saying it, is he isn't great with the ball at his feet. He often slows the game down for us and plays it very safe by going backwards. If we had a better footballer in that role, you'd see a quicker more dynamic style of play when the ball is played out to that side. This is what Pep is looking for. He had it with both Alves and lahm in the RB position and Alabama, Bernat and Alba at LB.
Haha, auto correct hit you with 'Alabama' lol. It has done that to me a few times. But my phone at least. Ow recognises 'Alaba' as a legit word I might use. My iPad on the other hand? No dice.

As to the issue, it seems you see my point. Unfortunately most don't.

Haha, auto correct hit you with 'Alabama' lol. It has done that to me a few times. But my phone at least. Ow recognises 'Alaba' as a legit word I might use. My iPad on the other hand? No dice.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and I can agree to an extent. All I'm trying to get across is that there are very few players of that calibre and i can't see any of them becoming available so we need to compromise with the next best option. That's why we're being linked to the likes of Ben Davies.

i dont get this obsession with having ball playing full backs. what does that even mean anyway ? bertrand is very comfortable on the ball and comes out of the back line. hes played in midfield swell a few times for southampton. barely any fullbacks also play in midfield or well. very rarely - lahm. sagna has been fantastic for us. he can defend and attack as shown against west ham the other week. the problem our full backs have at the minute is age isn't on there side. we need young full backs with more energy.

betrand or davies would be great for us. both very good at defending and going forward. i think its a bit like the goalie debate. everyones become obsessed with a ball playing goalie, but we need someone who knows how to actually stop shots. its the same with our defenders.
It's not as rear as you think: Alaba, Marcelo, are other examples. So is Milner. There are more, but that's neither here nor there. The point being missed here is that there are multiple ways to win. Guardiola has chosen the way he wants to win. I'm simply saying certain players are more valuable to such a style than others.

But your retort, like that of most will be clouded by the 'Bravo can stop shots' fallacy. It's not an either or proposition. There are players who can defend who also have the ball skills. Matter of fact their ball skills reduces also the amount of time they have to defend. Depresses the constantly out of possesion opposition and improves the skilled defenders success rate when they are in fact defending.

Sagna's main issue which Dax has pretty much summed up without actually saying it, is he isn't great with the ball at his feet. He often slows the game down for us and plays it very safe by going backwards. If we had a better footballer in that role, you'd see a quicker more dynamic style of play when the ball is played out to that side. This is what Pep is looking for. He had it with both Alves and lahm in the RB position and Alabama, Bernat and Alba at LB.

Pep never had Alba, he had Sylvinho/Abidal/Adriano at Barcelona

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and I can agree to an extent. All I'm trying to get across is that there are very few players of that calibre and i can't see any of them becoming available so we need to compromise with the next best option. That's why we're being linked to the likes of Ben Davies.
I disagree. There are lots of players like this. We are just not focusing on them. Frankly, this year alone their are probably around 12 fullbacks who are legitimate possess attacking midfielder skillset.

The Semedo kid we were discussing on the other thread easily fits that look.

Perreirra does too. So does Weiser, and Karsdorp. I haven't been watching as much football this year, but it seems this is an early trend. I bet if I up my football watching again I could come up with ten legitimate names of players with that skillset.

It's painful how often our attacks get rotated back to Ota/Stones/Bravo after a good start simply because Clichy/Sagna don't have the requisite skills to not only keep the play going, but actively participate.

In my opinion Betrand,( Davies I haven't watched as much) will make progress ardous for us.

Haha, I just give up most times and let it run hoping people get the jist of it. Everyone will realise once we do get someone in there who can play the way pep wants and will be delighted for it.

It's not as rear as you think: Alaba, Marcelo, are other examples. So is Milner. There are more, but that's neither here nor there. The point being missed here is that there are multiple ways to win. Guardiola has chosen the way he wants to win. I'm simply saying certain players are more valuable to such a style than others.

But your retort, like that of most will be clouded by the 'Bravo can stop shots' fallacy. It's not an either or proposition. There are players who can defend who also have the ball skills. Matter of fact their ball skills reduces also the amount of time they have to defend. Depresses the constantly out of possesion opposition and improves the skilled defenders success rate when they are in fact defending.

but players like davies and bertrand do have ball skills. they both have a good touch and rarely lose possession. i think your more talking about just having more attack minded full backs. sagna is really good with the ball at his feet, rarely loses it and plays some good passes. i understand what you mean, but i think bertrand would be a huge upgrade on what we have now and he is a very good attacker. you've named alaba, lahm, marcelo - some of the best full backs in the last twenty years. its very rare for a full backs to be good in midfield swell. you want attack minded full backs, betrand is that imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.