Ben Davies

I disagree. There are lots of players like this. We are just not focusing on them. Frankly, this year alone their are probably around 12 fullbacks who are legitimate possess attacking midfielder skillset.

The Semedo kid we were discussing on the other thread easily fits that look.

Perreirra does too. So does Weiser, and Karsdorp. I haven't been watching as much football this year, but it seems this is an early trend. I bet if I up my football watching again I could come up with ten legitimate names of players with that skillset.

It's painful how often our attacks get rotated back to Ota/Stones/Bravo after a good start simply because Clichy/Sagna don't have the requisite skills to not only keep the play going, but actively participate.

In my opinion Betrand,( Davies I haven't watched as much) will make progress ardous for us.

Those players you mention haven't got a lot of experience though, they haven't been recognised by their respective national teams and have only ever played in one league. So in that case I'd say they are not the calibre of player we need. At least not yet anyway. I'd love for us to sign someone unknown and for them to do well. But why take that risk? 3 of our current full backs are out of contract in the summer and more than likely to leave, we really can't afford to sign a dud. I'd prefer it if the club played it safe and brought in someone younger who can put in a shift whilst still linking attack and defence, even if it's short term, whilst a new generation of full backs develop that we can then bring in when it's a safer bet.

Those players you mention haven't got a lot of experience though, they haven't been recognised by their respective national teams and have only ever played in one league. So in that case I'd say they are not the calibre of player we need. At least not yet anyway. I'd love for us to sign someone unknown and for them to do well. But why take that risk? 3 of our current full backs are out of contract in the summer and more than likely to leave, we really can't afford to sign a dud. I'd prefer it if the club played it safe and brought in someone younger who can put in a shift whilst still linking attack and defence, even if it's short term, whilst a new generation of full backs develop that we can then bring in when it's a safer bet.
I get your point, but I often point out that most of today's great, were nobodies until their big club gave them the ball. Alaba, Marcelo, Bernat, Samper to name a few.

And the notion that likes of Betrand or Davies have a higher chance of success is often a mistaken belief. They are no more likely to succeed than say Perreirra, Karsdorp or Sinkgraven. A quick watch of videos from Semedo suggests he is in that mold too.

Understand I'm not guaranteeing these guys will succeed. Just saying their chances are not lesser because they are more attack minded, or have better ball skills, or don't play in the Prem.

I'd rather just go with talent that fits the Philosophy, even if they are lesser known.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.