Benjamin Mendy - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of it was, but lets not get carried away, he hit one out of play first bounce the other side, and had one great cross to Walker who was on the other touch line.

Also as a defender in the first half hour he did a good impression of a traffic cone, and left Otamendi totally exposed several times, he must have been the most relieved man in the stadium when he realised that Klopp had inexplicably taken off Salah at half time.
Truth teller

I agree with Cleavers in that I actually thought he was a bit Kolarov like yesterday. Unbelievable quality of crosses going forward but got mullered a few times defensively and didn't look up to speed pace wise.

I'm putting it down to a general lack of fitness, without a full pre season and believe he will be a fantastic addition but I thought he was only OK yesterday and not worthy of Ian Wright's fulsome praise on MOTD, not that i generally take too much notice of what he's got to say anyway.

I do think he'll get better but he does need to brush up defensively. He's too static at times and I thought he needed to offer more help to Otamendi defending against Salah.

Saying that, his delivery into the box was absolutely superb.

I do think he'll get better but he does need to brush up defensively. He's too static at times and I thought he needed to offer more help to Otamendi defending against Salah.

Saying that, his delivery into the box was absolutely superb.
Yeah, me too, I think he will be a fantastic addition in due course. Some of his crossing was almost KDB quality.

DJW-O01XkAAXGv2.jpg:small

Really like the look of him. He and Pep do need to get the attacking/defending balance right but, hell, he's only played two games.

Got a feeling he could be a giant for City.

He looks like he could be the best left back I've ever seen at City. Strong, quick and those crosses are a major strength. It gives us a bonus killer attacking option, and his behind-the-line crossing will open up many defensive teams and is meat and drink to Sergio.

He looks like he could be the best left back I've ever seen at City. Strong, quick and those crosses are a major strength. It gives us a bonus killer attacking option, and his behind-the-line crossing will open up many defensive teams and is meat and drink to Sergio.
To earn that accolade, he will need to work at the defensive aspects of his game. He's a beast going forward, and he sent in some devilish crosses. But in that first half hour, he was marked AWOL several times, leaving Ota painfully exposed to Salah, who had him on toast. But it's early days, and I'm hopeful he will improve in time.

To earn that accolade, he will need to work at the defensive aspects of his game. He's a beast going forward, and he sent in some devilish crosses. But in that first half hour, he was marked AWOL several times, leaving Ota painfully exposed to Salah, who had him on toast. But it's early days, and I'm hopeful he will improve in time.
I don't agree actually. I think Pep has enough nous to know that if you tell your fullbacks to play so agressively, they can't cover at the back at the same time. The rest of the team has to be set up in such a way that if you lose the ball while he and/or Walker are up front, they can still close down the counter attack. They should be able to do that with three at the back. I don't think enough of our defenders have the pace, positioning or temperament to do that, but that doesn't mean Pep's going to start asking Mendy and Walker to do two fundamentally contradictory things. If they can get back, great. Sometimes they won't and they have to be set up in such a way as to snuff out a counterattack without them.

EDIT: you're quite right though, his attacking play was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.