Benjamin Mendy (Back In Training)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think Guardiola spent £53 million on a left back - the only left back in the squad - that can't be played with his only left winger? (and one of his most promising players). 433 is clearly our preferred formation, but we're supposed to think Pep decided we didn't need a left back in that formation?

Or is it that you think Pep built a squad with Sané and Sterling as integral parts of it, while pursuing another winger in Sanchez/Mahrez, only to play a 352 system with no wingers at all?

Sometimes I wonder if people just think no thought goes into building the squad at all.
It is an interesting question though, considering both players are play out wide, hug the touchline and dependent on speed and dribbling
In previous iterations, mancini / pellegrini always played with inverted wingers for that reason.

My concern would be that Pep decides to do the same and play sane right and Sterling left, not for Sane but because that completely wrecks Sterling's performance for some reason.

I really can't see a team that uses both Sane and Mendy unless Mendy plays on the left of a three.
The Liverpool 5-0 game would suggest they can make it work somewhow.

There was an interview with Mendy after that game where he said he and Sané had a good partnership

For those questioning how Mendy and Sane fit into the same team, pleaser refer to Walker and Sterling.

We'll see Sane come inside much more often, assisting less and scoring more. Look at Sterling's and Sane's combined goals+assists this season. Sterling has 20 + 10, Sane has 12 + 15. Sane has been maintaining width on the left because Delph plays purely as an inverted full-back. This often pushes Kev further right, with Sane and Walker providing the width, with Sterling moving inside as the second Centre-forward.

With Mendy on the pitch, You will see the same movements on the left hand side, with the triangle of Mendy/Silva/Sane operating the same way as Walker/KDB/Sterling.

I bet right backs are looking forward to deciding whether to follow Mendy or Sane.

Should lead to so much more space (and therefore goals) for Aguero, Jesus and KDB.

No RB can cover those two, one will go wide and the other will run between the RB+CB, which will mean either the CB's get pulled apart and more space for the strikers, or the defensive midfielder drops in which means KDB + Silva have space.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trend next year of teams replace their right wingers with a second RB next season.

For those questioning how Mendy and Sane fit into the same team, pleaser refer to Walker and Sterling.

We'll see Sane come inside much more often, assisting less and scoring more. Look at Sterling's and Sane's combined goals+assists this season. Sterling has 20 + 10, Sane has 12 + 15. Sane has been maintaining width on the left because Delph plays purely as an inverted full-back. This often pushes Kev further right, with Sane and Walker providing the width, with Sterling moving inside as the second Centre-forward.

With Mendy on the pitch, You will see the same movements on the left hand side, with the triangle of Mendy/Silva/Sane operating the same way as Walker/KDB/Sterling.
Great post. We played 4-3-3 vs Watford away with Sterling, Aguero and Jesus in a narrow front three with Mendy and Walker bombing forward and maintaining width. Our attacking play was excellent, and im sure it will be when Mendy returns.

Noticing how Sane has started to dribble inside a lot more in recent games, I think that could be something he's working on with Mendy in mind.

Should lead to so much more space (and therefore goals) for Aguero, Jesus and KDB.

No RB can cover those two, one will go wide and the other will run between the RB+CB, which will mean either the CB's get pulled apart and more space for the strikers, or the defensive midfielder drops in which means KDB + Silva have space.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a trend next year of teams replace their right wingers with a second RB next season.

I hadn't thought too much, but yes, it probably means needing the right midfielder and either a central midfielder or centrehalf to go with one as well.
Being able to overload both sides could be quite interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.