Berlin

A mate and I did the 'Trabbi Safari '.
You get to drive a smoky Trabant car in a small convoy. The guy/girl in the lead car points out some of the sights of the old east sector and tells you a bit of the history.
The tour takes about an hour but I am not sure on the price.(50 euro maybe).
Driving a Trabbi with column change is a bit strange at first and it can be difficult to keep up with traffic (BMW, Mercs, Audis etc) but it is entertaining enough!
I'd certainly do it again.

Dig out Rick Stein's Long Weekends on BBC iPlayer. He did Berlin and was, as usual, very good. Bit food centric but worth a watch. He went to a hidden restaurant in a business unit that you would never know was there. Lots of other tips on the city though he doesn't have kids with him!

Went on my stag do so I'm afraid my recommendations won't be suitable...

As stated, the Spy Museum is good, great for kids, who assume the identities of spies. Good fun.

The train out to Potsdam to Frederick the Great's Sans Souci palace is impressive, decent gardens on a sunny day too.

The most overwhelming experience is a short train trip, then a bus, to Wannsee, to the villa where the so-called Final Solution was planned. The actual documents (not photocopies) are still on the table around which sat Heydrich and Adolf Eichmann, with other Nazis, mostly bureaucrats. To stand, as I did, at that table where the greatest crime against humanity was organised is profoundly moving as well as eerie. It's not far from Berlin, just a question of the right train (S-Bahn or U-Bahn?) and the bus outside that station. Easily found by googling or on-the-spot enquiries.

Bump.
Mrs S and I are across in Berlin in a couple of weeks from Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon. She has a great uncle that died in a Berlin pow camp exactly 100 years ago so we are visiting his war grave on the Sunday morning. That gives us a couple of days to see the city and drink beer. We are based in Mitte just north of Museum Island. Any tips on things to must see and especially good bars with bar food? Thanks in advance.

Bump.
Mrs S and I are across in Berlin in a couple of weeks from Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon. She has a great uncle that died in a Berlin pow camp exactly 100 years ago so we are visiting his war grave on the Sunday morning. That gives us a couple of days to see the city and drink beer. We are based in Mitte just north of Museum Island. Any tips on things to must see and especially good bars with bar food? Thanks in advance.

I've been over a couple of time in the past 6 months or so. Mrs Hef's brother now lives there

I can't give you specifics of where to go but he lives in Hackescher Markt and there are plenty of bars restaurants and shops around there. On a wider point, the transport network is brilliant so if you need to get around, it's pretty straightforward once you get your head around it

PS - if you get chance, get to a Hertha game. The Olympic Stadium is brilliant

Staying at the grand central hotel in January can't wait taking the kids, going to burn the reichstag down and blame it on them pesky commies!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.