Best book you've ever read?

1984.........George Orwell.

The Grapes Of Wrath......John Steinbeck.

One Hundred Years Of Solitude.....Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Watching The Door(A Memoir 1971-1978).....Kevin Myers.

Wuthering Heights.

By the most naturally gifted and Greatest Woman Poet this country has ever produced.

Forgive its rather cumbersome structure and see its vision and depth.

Emily Bronte wrote just the one book and died shortly after, but it was amazing for its time. I read it for the first time when I was 13 and it wasn't an easy read, but that is its secret. It introduces a World that is reluctant to let you in and poses layer upon layer of questions about what we perceive is the natural "norm."

Forget the "romance" label and read it for what it is. A testament to the Natural World that should be let be.

It's brutality repulsed most of the critics when it was published, but I just admire its complete honesty and the way the Author spoke from her heart of the way the World seemed for her.

Shaun Goaters biography.
There's a bit in it when he was Playing for the rags and he was walking through solford with lee sharp ryan giggs and got chased by some city fans! little did they know he would become there hero lol!

1984 (but I hate the way it has the "book within a book" device). This set my political views when I was 17/18 in 1984.

Night by Elie Wiesel.

Shake hands with the devil by Lt Gen Romeo Dallaire

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Storm Island by Ken Follett (reissued as "The eye of the needle" after an awful film version).

BlackSheep said:
1984 (but I hate the way it has the "book within a book" device). This set my political views when I was 17/18 in 1984.

Night by Elie Wiesel.

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Storm Island by Ken Follett (reissued as "The eye of the needle" after an awful film version).

Great choice Jay... Love his style of writing, for a Yank he has a very 'British' sense of humour... The guy is obviously really clever too.

I've read pretty much all his books and enjoyed each one immensely.

BlackSheep said:

Night by Elie Wiesel.

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Ive only read two Ken Follett books 'A Place Called Freedom',and 'The Pillars Of The Earth'.
He is a brilliant storyteller.

Trinity by Leon Uris and the Pickwick Papers by Dickens. Also loved the Flashman books by George McDonald Fraser who died this year I think.
Theres too many to mention really. I used to read a lot more before these fecking websites came along.

a lot of hard yakka by simon hughes,the story of a journeyman cricketer at middlesex,laugh out loud funny.

agree with bill bryson,entetaining stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.