Best book you've ever read?

Pearcey said:
BlackSheep said:
1984 (but I hate the way it has the "book within a book" device). This set my political views when I was 17/18 in 1984.

Night by Elie Wiesel.

Shake hands with the devil by Lt Gen Romeo Dallaire

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Storm Island by Ken Follett (reissued as "The eye of the needle" after an awful film version).

Great choice Jay... Love his style of writing, for a Yank he has a very 'British' sense of humour... The guy is obviously really clever too.

I've read pretty much all his books and enjoyed each one immensely.

Matty said:
I also really enjoyed A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. In fact most of Bill Bryson's stuff is excellent.

B*stard Peacey. I mention Bill Bryson and nothing, Blacksheep brings him up and you're right in there agreeing!

I hate you Pearcey, I really do.

Bluebottle said:
Apologies if this one's been done before but I've not been here long.

For me it's Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. Never found anything to touch it. Just my kind of humour and logic that fries your brain. Spent ages trying to figure out how Milo claimed to make a profit buying and sellling Eggs!

Any recommendations people?

I'm trying to read this at the moment, I find I difficult to follow sometimes but I'm enjoying it. I'm also reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, which is pretty good.

The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart

Lived my life on the throw of a dice for some months after reading this cult classic in my younger days.

oh, loads man. i'd say 1984, The Picture Of Dorian Gray, Lord of The Flies and The Lord Of The Rings were my top 4. all equally held in high esteem.

There's lots of fictional books that are worthy of mention.

However(as I happen to have it in front of me) there's a book I was recommended, a couple of years ago, that some one said I could've written. It's called "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene.

It's an excellent book and many of my own views are reflected in it. Lend it from a library or buy it, cos if you're business minded, it'll help show you where you are, on the ladder.

It's also reflective of your circle of relationships, but it also may change the way you see certain people around you.

Matty said:
Pearcey said:
BlackSheep said:
1984 (but I hate the way it has the "book within a book" device). This set my political views when I was 17/18 in 1984.

Night by Elie Wiesel.

Shake hands with the devil by Lt Gen Romeo Dallaire

Anything by Bill Bryson.

Storm Island by Ken Follett (reissued as "The eye of the needle" after an awful film version).

Great choice Jay... Love his style of writing, for a Yank he has a very 'British' sense of humour... The guy is obviously really clever too.

I've read pretty much all his books and enjoyed each one immensely.

Matty said:
I also really enjoyed A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. In fact most of Bill Bryson's stuff is excellent.

B*stard Peacey. I mention Bill Bryson and nothing, Blacksheep brings him up and you're right in there agreeing!

I hate you Pearcey, I really do.

Sorry... I didn't read the whole thread... Blacksheep's was the last post, so it probably stood out more.

I've just finished 'Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid' ... after reading that, I almost wish I was a kid in 50's America.

In harms way and alive are both great reads.Two books that really portray the spirit of man to overcome the odds of nature and survive.I think the former was the only book that ever brought a tear to my eye.

James Elroy is a great fictional author.I've also just finished a quiet belief in angels which i thought was amazing.Last day of my holiday today and i've just started the wasp factory.So far so good.

for me it would be:

mtpcte.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.