best place to lease a car from? (in Manchester)

MCFCinUSA

(expat based in USA) but past year back in the UK
Team supported
City since 1977
where's a good place to hire a compact (manual transmission) car for about 2 weeks at the airport or somewhere I can get to easily from the airport please?

last year I made a reservation over the internet through a clearing firm and ended up with total shysters in Altrincham who tried to make me purchase additional & expensive insurance that I didn't need because my credit card (and 11 page insurance rider) provides for car rental insurance as one of its perks.. I won't go into details (other than they claimed they'd have to put a 20,000 GBP hold on my credit card if I didn't purchase it) but they have a lot of 1 star reviews on Google and offer to pay you five quid to leave them a good review (they operate a sickening scam operation)

FYI - I have both European and American driving credentials and credit cards, and can make payment with either set of both.

Just go through one of the American companies! You can prepay in dollars and get a good deal, especially if you join their "Clubs" (usually free!).

I've always had good luck with Hertz (Ford Focus or Mondeo, depending in how many with me). Do yourself a favor, though, always take pics or a good quality video before leaving with the car and when dropping it off. Do it in full view of the Company agent, taking close up pics if nec., so you don't have any "long distance" problems when you get home! 5 mins on each end can save you hours later, no matter who you use.

Also, call your credit card cos, to see if they have any deals or discounts with any specific rental companies thru their card, and always check all sizes of cars, because often larger cars are much cheaper than smaller ones, because they have more people after the smaller cars believing they will be cheaper. Last time I got a Mondeo diesel for less than a Fiesta cost...and it was all right there on the website!

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Just go through one of the American companies! You can prepay in dollars and get a good deal, especially if you join their "Clubs" (usually free!).

I've always had good luck with Hertz (Ford Focus or Mondeo, depending in how many with me). Do yourself a favor, though, always take pics or a good quality video before leaving with the car and when dropping it off. Do it in full view of the Company agent, taking close up pics if nec., so you don't have any "long distance" problems when you get home! 5 mins on each end can save you hours later, no matter who you use.

Also, call your credit card cos, to see if they have any deals or discounts with any specific rental companies thru their card, and always check all sizes of cars, because often larger cars are much cheaper than smaller ones, because they have more people after the smaller cars believing they will be cheaper. Last time I got a Mondeo diesel for less than a Fiesta cost...and it was all right there on the website!

Happy hunting!

Cheers Chicago

.. I've been renting cars for a long time now, but have noticed the increasingly pernicious problem of unscrupulous vendors seeking to attach rip-off insurance riders to what you've paid (supposedly in full) when you've booked online - often through a clearing house, whilst still in the USA. I had a particularly bad experience last year that took so long and caused such a mess when over in the UK, despite getting myself refunded in full back here. I'm looking to avoid such a situation again by trying to deal with a major firm or using a recommended vendor through BM. I'll check into your recommendations, thanks.

Cheers Chicago

.. I've been renting cars for a long time now, but have noticed the increasingly pernicious problem of unscrupulous vendors seeking to attach rip-off insurance riders to what you've paid (supposedly in full) when you've booked online - often through a clearing house, whilst still in the USA. I had a particularly bad experience last year that took so long and caused such a mess when over in the UK, despite getting myself refunded in full back here. I'm looking to avoid such a situation again by trying to deal with a major firm or using a recommended vendor through BM. I'll check into your recommendations, thanks.
Stick with the big companies, take care of it in the States before you leave, and then if you deal with any issues, it is Stateside through corporate, and none of these sheißter third party companies looking to take a foreigner for a ride! It might cost you an extra buck upfront, but well worth it when we are talking about thousands on the back end!

Not used them for a while but always thought Salford car hire was good .dont think will pick up and drop of at the airport though

County Car and Van Rental - Stockport office close but wife says phone Oldham 0161 785 9996 and mention Bluemoon post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.