Big Data Waging War on the Media

While these things undoubtedly have an impact, I can't help but think the preceding 20 years of blaming Brussels for every problem in the country might have something to do with the Brexit vote. Let's be honest, how is this massively different from Rupert Murdoch controlling the news agenda, other than it being more technologically up to date?

The difference is targeting. Traditional media has rather a throw enough shit at a wall and some will stick strategy. Big data allows you to find the stickiest walls for different turds.

The difference is targeting. Traditional media has rather a throw enough shit at a wall and some will stick strategy. Big data allows you to find the stickiest walls for different turds.
I guess targeting can be a big issue, however at least it only affected those that use social media. Imagine if someone could reach every single household in the country with a 'targeted' leaflet, prior to a major referendum or election. And then pass on the cost to each individual that receives the targeted literature? Nah, I guess nobody would ever get away with something like that. ;-)

Well yeah, but the same targeting tools are available to both sides of the debate. It's not as if Hillary Clinton's campaign wasn't well funded.

I guess targeting can be a big issue, however at least it only affected those that use social media. Imagine if someone could reach every single household in the country with a 'targeted' leaflet, prior to a major referendum or election. And then pass on the cost to each individual that receives the targeted literature? Nah, I guess nobody would ever get away with something like that. ;-)

Your cookies can be traced meaning anything you see on things like Google Ads can be targeted too. Notice how the ads you see on BM are for sites you've looked at before our sites that would appeal to a similar demographic. This story is just replacing products with political campaigns.

And yes, I'm sure Hillary's side was doing it too, although as I've mentioned, Trump's polarizing opinions may make it easier to discern likely Trump voters.

You also have to factor in what you're going to send to these people. Hillary may well have found her online target audience and just failed to enthuse them with whatever messages she was able to show them.

I think the title of this thread is wrong. It is a war against society, against everybody. What they do is manipulating everybody to do what they want, and we don't even know we are being manipulated. Scary stuff.

I think the title of this thread is wrong. It is a war against society, against everybody. What they do is manipulating everybody to do what they want, and we don't even know we are being manipulated. Scary stuff.

Absolutely this.

I think Western Govts need to legislate against this but my guess is it may already be too late as many of the people in power are in on it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.