Big Green Egg

Had never heard of or seen the Big Green Egg before this thread. Walked into the library and right there on the recommended is the BGE cookbook to accompany your egg.

Not a massive meat eater but....fresh wild turkey done in a smoker is wonderful.

I've got a couple of charcoal fuelled smokers and a couple of electric ones.....as I get older have to say the electric ones are really nice. Being a carpenter I have access to lots of different woods, though mainly use hickory (from flooring) or alder. Just bought a bag of peach wood and mesquite, thought I'd give them a try...better go and catch some trout first though

I hope you wrestle it out of the river like a real man.

How much do you pay for that mesquite? Love to cook with that.

The sacks (Oak currently) I get last absolutely ages... 30kilo sack has been in my shed for over a year and still going. I tend to chop up the chunks into 'mars bar' size sticks and use them on the kettle BBQ to smoke smaller meats (like Burgers).

@Chippy_boy - here are the guys I buy my wood from - ring/mail to see what they have in to deliver:

http://www.alderwoodtreecare.com/
Chorlton based so not sure how far they deliver out to...

How much do you pay for a 30kg bag and can you collect ?

How much do you pay for a 30kg bag and can you collect ?

Best having a look at this link - they deliver free to certain areas, but charge a little if further out.
I spoke with Seth when I contacted them...great bloke and he bobbed over with a net bag of Oakwood not long after contacting him.
I said £10 before, but it looks like they're £8 (and it's a heavy bag!!). Bearing in mind you could pay £6 for some 500g chips in B&Q/Tesco it's an absolute steal (or more likely the supermarket/sheds are an utter rip off).
Let me know how you get on.

http://www.alderwoodtreecare.com/services/firewood/

That smoker tray looks mint boss, i do use weber chips to help add more layers of flavour but your system looks better as i have to wet the chips and stick em at the side. Smoked cheese is amazing and i want to try it myself. Any tips i may need boss, nothing better than well smoked cheese on a bbq grilled burger.

If you want to cold smoke, then I can heartily recommend those Pro Q cold smoke generators (see link).
Light one end of the maze and it burns for something like 24 hours and you get a fair amount of wood dust (lots of varieties) with it.
Cheese takes roughly 12 hours (I use my drum smoker) - mild, cheap cheese is what you want so you're just left with the smoke flavour, not competing with other sources of flavour. Wrap in cling film and let mellow/mature in the fridge for (and this is the tough part) 2-4 weeks!

https://hotsmoked.co.uk/proq-cold-smoke-generator.html

Best having a look at this link - they deliver free to certain areas, but charge a little if further out.
I spoke with Seth when I contacted them...great bloke and he bobbed over with a net bag of Oakwood not long after contacting him.
I said £10 before, but it looks like they're £8 (and it's a heavy bag!!). Bearing in mind you could pay £6 for some 500g chips in B&Q/Tesco it's an absolute steal (or more likely the supermarket/sheds are an utter rip off).
Let me know how you get on.

http://www.alderwoodtreecare.com/services/firewood/
Thank's for that will give him a call and get back to you.

Ive been using lump wood and brickets but not to sure how much chemical is in the brickets.

Thank's for that will give him a call and get back to you.

Ive been using lump wood and brickets but not to sure how much chemical is in the brickets.
Weber are very good but many others i am not sure about others for briquettes. Weber i know uses only natural normal starch to hold it;s stuff together and the flavour is a sweet mesquite/cherry/oak mix that gives good colour to low and slow ribs.

Lump wood is the best if you don't have a separate chamber, and if you buy good quality it as good as a well cured dry logs as @somapop shows in his suppliers link (sweet link btw, just need to see if they deliver a bit further out)

Last edited:
Anyone got one? Or similar, such as the Kamado Joe?

I'm getting a Kamado today and looking forward to many burnt offerings over the summer. Any tips or advice from seasoned owners?
Got an egg last summer. It's ace. Working up the courage to cook a brisket overnight. Makes great pizza too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.