Bigger deal - Jacko or Elvis?

jimharri said:
Bigga said:
Both artists are a joke.
If you're suggesting that Elvis is a joke, I would advise you to have a stiff drink and go for a lie down in a darkened room. I've not read so much rubbish since I last looked at one of BB's posts! However, I do agree with you re. Eminem. Pure shite.

I think the achievements of both are enough to show neither are a "joke" regardless of taste.

jimharri said:
Bigga said:
Both artists are a joke.
If you're suggesting that Elvis is a joke, I would advise you to have a stiff drink and go for a lie down in a darkened room. I've not read so much rubbish since I last looked at one of BB's posts! However, I do agree with you re. Eminem. Pure shite.

Jim. Elvis was a CROONER/ singer. Never actually wrote ANY songs, but hand a hand in 4(FOUR)!!

He could sing, but any better than lots of other artists of the time that didn't have the backing he did, in heavily racial time??

Fair enough, 'rubbish' may have been a tad harsh, but 'brilliant', he most certainly wasn't.

Vocally, Nat 'King' Cole and Marvin Gaye sh*t all over him.

Pitch perfect vocalists, the both of them.

Bigga said:
jimharri said:
Bigga said:
Both artists are a joke.

Jim. Elvis was a CROONER/ singer. Never actually wrote ANY songs, but hand a hand in 4(FOUR)!!

He could sing, but any better than lots of other artists of the time that didn't have the backing he did, in heavily racial time??

Fair enough, 'rubbish' may have been a tad harsh, but 'brilliant', he most certainly wasn't.

Vocally, Nat 'King' Cole and Marvin Gaye sh*t all over him.

Pitch perfect vocalists, the both of them.
Er, who mentioned anything about writing? I didn't.

sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band is better than thriller imo, yet it's a tough one to say whether sgt pepper's was the best Beatles album.
the Beatles were more consistent in there quality of songs too.

atbmcfc said:
sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band is better than thriller imo, yet it's a tough one to say whether sgt pepper's was the best Beatles album.

As I mentioned earlier, the Beatles are one of my all time favourites but I wouldn't consider consistency one of their strong points. They wrote a hell of alot of dross (albeit mainly by Paul). Their genius was unmatched but inbetween the exceptional music shattering songs(imo no other song can match Tomorrow Never Knows in influencing modern music - it really was ground breaking) there was alot of garbage.

Imo, their early stuff was embarrassing.

jackson blew all the cultural boundaries in entertainment apart. black man as biggest superstar in the world by a mile. you can argue that it was only after he came on the scene that hollywood realised there was real potential for black actors (beyond sydney poitier) to be leading men capable of guaranteeing a worldwide audience for a film.

Elvis was before my time, and i've never really bothered learning about the impact he had, so I wont try to compare the two.

ElanJo said:
atbmcfc said:

As I mentioned earlier, the Beatles are one of my all time favourites but I wouldn't consider consistency one of their strong points. They wrote a hell of alot of dross (albeit mainly by Paul). Their genius was unmatched but inbetween the exceptional music shattering pieces of music(imo no other song can match Tomorrow Never Knows in influencing modern music - it really was ground breaking) there was alot of garbage.

Imo, their early stuff was embarrassing.
oh there was definitely some crap but on the whole i think the are pretty consistent, or at least imo i find them more consistent.

MJ came out with a lot more crap when he got older.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.