birds

vanellus vanellus.
the northern lapwing,
or as it's known in lancashire because of its call, the humble peewit

i spent ages watching one this morning,
he seemed to be so very happy dancing on the currents, singing as he went.

a somewhat awkward fellow on the ground, slightly new-romantic
peewit-web.jpg

yet a true flyer in the air
5647649614_2e959662de.jpg

what a lovely 20 minutes i've just spent looking out of the kitchen window.
not 50 feet away from me, sat on the edge of the sloping roof of an outhouse building was a barn owl.

it didn't seem to be hunting, just casually looking around and about, now & again, with a twist of the head.

3 crows weren't at all happy about its presence and tried to give it some grief by swooping and squawking,
but the owl remained calm and unmoved by them, yawning in their faces or turning the other cheek.
so they tried to outflank the owl, sat within a few feet of it and shouted blue murder at it.
one of them then dared to try to twat the owl round the head,
receiving nothing more than a dirty look from the owl that said,
"you know i could have ripped that foot of yours off if i could be arsed, you great tit.
go away, i'm tired of you now" and the crows did indeed fly away, still grumbling of course.

i wondered what a night predator was doing up at this late hour of 9am,
sat there in the miserable drizzling grey morning.
i found this very thorough article on their daytime habits
https://britishbirds.co.uk/article/the-daylight-activity-of-barn-owls
and was surprised to read that it is not uncommon in lancashire,
behaviour previously attributed to possible poor eyesight, or general lack of food,
but maybe just a simple response to unusual vole activity after a wet night.

who knows?
but it was most entertaining and made me smile broadly.

finally it shook itself off and graciously headed to the fields,
with me shouting rather pointlessly through the window,
"thank you, barny, thank you".

i do hope it returns again another day.

Big fat fucking pigeons the size of that M.O.A.B. have just attacked my grass seed, flying rats

Big fat fucking pigeons the size of that M.O.A.B. have just attacked my grass seed, flying rats
I usually don't mind our avian friends but when they do that or attack all the worms after i have turned the veg patch, fuck off cunts i need those worms to condition my soil.

I usually don't mind our avian friends but when they do that or attack all the worms after i have turned the veg patch, fuck off cunts i need those worms to condition my soil.

make a catapult net...
www.instructables.com/id/Build-A-Net-Gun
F22LUDTIJUAHFHF.ANIMATED.MEDIUM.gif

and have some fun
1389635888_catching_pigeons_with_net_catapult.gif

i agree that they are pests but they are quite the acrobat
daily_gifdump_878_13.gif

@karen7
Cat_pigeon_dissapointment.gif

The mrs has been buying mealworm to attract the birds, throwing fistfuls of them of the balcony onto the grass below. The blackbirds love them and so does a cheeky Robin that will come when shouted...worryingly I have started talking to it!

Last night I was enjoying a fat one on the balcony when I dropped my lighter onto the grass below. Once I had finished my spliff, due to being stoned I elected to go down stairs and into the garden barefooted as I couldnt be arsed to put my trainers on. Due to it being pitch black down there I failed to see that as well as the Robins and Blackbirds being very partial to mealworm, hedgehogs are also very partial and indeed a very large one was dining happily. Sadly I only became aware of this when I put my foot on the bastard, once I had removed my face from the wet grass much swearing and limping about followed and continues as I write.

The mrs has been buying mealworm to attract the birds, throwing fistfuls of them of the balcony onto the grass below. The blackbirds love them and so does a cheeky Robin that will come when shouted...worryingly I have started talking to it!

Last night I was enjoying a fat one on the balcony when I dropped my lighter onto the grass below. Once I had finished my spliff, due to being stoned I elected to go down stairs and into the garden barefooted as I couldnt be arsed to put my trainers on. Due to it being pitch black down there I failed to see that as well as the Robins and Blackbirds being very partial to mealworm, hedgehogs are also very partial and indeed a very large one was dining happily. Sadly I only became aware of this when I put my foot on the bastard, once I had removed my face from the wet grass much swearing and limping about followed and continues as I write.

Hahahahaha but also ouch, that is gonna be a big needle in the arse job no doubt, cute little buggers though when your not spearing your foot on the fuckers.

I am going to get a bird table, always wanted one and i have some cash to buy a nice one now, hopefully it winds the local cats up to as the birds have 2 dogs to help keep the riff raff away when they are dining.

Hahahahaha but also ouch, that is gonna be a big needle in the arse job no doubt, cute little buggers though when your not spearing your foot on the fuckers.

I am going to get a bird table, always wanted one and i have some cash to buy a nice one now, hopefully it winds the local cats up to as the birds have 2 dogs to help keep the riff raff away when they are dining.

The needle in the arse has been administered at Leighton Hospital this morning....Not one of the NHS staff with whom I came into contact with kept a straight face.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.