birds

darwin's finches have been at it again, the randy buggers.

hugely important in his understanding of the origin of species,
galapagos finches have recently created a new species, in just 3 generations.
big-bird.jpeg

https://www.inverse.com/article/38754-big-bird-galapagos-islands-evolution

here's the paper, published last week, by prof. leif andersson & others.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2017/11/20/science.aao4593
(you can register for free to read the full article)

_98885115_c0158103-the_origin_of_species_first_edition_book-spl.jpg

image1finches.jpg
"Fifthly".... I'm going to use that in my next customer presentation

Couple of years back, I was walking home from work through a small housing estate less than a mile from the middle of Northampton. A large brown bird flew past me at no more than head height and pounced on a small bird (sparrow or some such) that had been minding its own business in somebody's front garden. It looked at me while the small bird let out a pathetic squeak, then took off to enjoy the meal. I never imagined I would see anything like that in the countryside let alone the middle of town. Anyone got any ideas what the bird of prey was?

Couple of years back, I was walking home from work through a small housing estate less than a mile from the middle of Northampton. A large brown bird flew past me at no more than head height and pounced on a small bird (sparrow or some such) that had been minding its own business in somebody's front garden. It looked at me while the small bird let out a pathetic squeak, then took off to enjoy the meal. I never imagined I would see anything like that in the countryside let alone the middle of town. Anyone got any ideas what the bird of prey was?

Likely a Sparrow Hawk if it was in a suburban area. We have one here that is quite shite at catching the small birds, often a rumpus in the hedge as it dives in after dinner then usually the small bird makes off and the Sparrow Hawk pops up out of the hedge with a "FFS" look on its face.

Sparrow Hawk mate. We have one that uses our bird feeders as a fast food outlet. Poor little buggers don’t stand a chance. It is a beautiful bird though and unbelievable flier, it comes in fast and low through the trees and is nearly side on when it hits the unfortunate green finch/chaffinch/Siskin/great tit ...

14277n4.jpg

f09s83.jpg

had this little goshawk keeping the starling population down last winter. Saw it several times and heard the screeching of dying starlings

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.