Birth Pangs

Fair enough. Don't understand how someone who would not have been on the short list if the job has been vacant Sept 1st, is suddenly the man in all the land and all the world to do the business. I suppose another 3 years is nothing. No point banging on about it though, it is what it is, and the Arabs have certainly been sold by Cook and Hughes so little point in going on about it. Fingers crossed then. I'm sure it will all work out.

Just found this paragraph on Fergusons reign at the swamp

For the 1989-90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister (a national record £2.3million signing from Middlesbrough). The season began well with a 4-1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie."

If only those fans had got their way eh ? You can imagine the arguments for getting rid 'He's only ever managed at Aberdeen he can't handle the big players and a big club, get rid before he takes us down blah blah'

If the fans successfully get rid of Hughes we 'could' be getting rid of the best thing to ever happen to us and we will never know.

This other quote is also insightful and I see synergies between where Un*ted were then and we are now.

'Ferguson was appointed manager at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986. He was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place. Their only away win in the league that season was a 1-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield'

It's about time we backed a manager and gave him time to make his mark on the club. We all know that with this money we can get success because we are/will be able to buy the best players in the world. The problem is that some fans have been institutionalised over 30 years with a negative mindset when it comes to City. It's like my missus, I can tell her 10 times how gorgeous she looks then the one time I mention about a dress making her bum looks big and all she focuses her attention on is the one bad comment not the the 10 good one's.

All City fans should be in a state of euphoria at the future we have but be aware it's not going to happen in half a season - learn the lesson of Fergiescum !

Blue Mooner said:

For the 1989-90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister (a national record £2.3million signing from Middlesbrough). The season began well with a 4-1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap. Ta ra Fergie."

If only those fans had got their way eh ? You can imagine the arguments for getting rid 'He's only ever managed at Aberdeen he can't handle the big players and a big club, get rid before he takes us down blah blah'

If the fans successfully get rid of Hughes we 'could' be getting rid of the best thing to ever happen to us and we will never know.

This other quote is also insightful and I see synergies between where Un*ted were then and we are now.

'Ferguson was appointed manager at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986. He was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place. Their only away win in the league that season was a 1-0 victory over Liverpool at Anfield'

It's about time we backed a manager and gave him time to make his mark on the club. We all know that with this money we can get success because we are/will be able to buy the best players in the world. The problem is that some fans have been institutionalised over 30 years with a negative mindset when it comes to City. It's like my missus, I can tell her 10 times how gorgeous she looks then the one time I mention about a dress making her bum looks big and all she focuses her attention on is the one bad comment not the the 10 good one's.

All City fans should be in a state of euphoria at the future we have but be aware it's not going to happen in half a season - learn the lesson of Fergiescum !

Good post!

Ducado said:
My take (been a City fan all my life)

For far to long there has been a culture of defeat and accepting third best at the club, this has sank into the very bones of the club (as can be seen on City forums) if we are going to get to be the Club we want to see (winning things) the ghost of the past needs to be exorcised.

I beleive that Hughes (despite some of my misgivings) is the man to do the job, and it is going to be painful as he builds a team that he wants, we want it all and we want it now, I have waited for so long I am prepared to wait that bit longer, as this new club takes shape

"... is the man to do the job"

Apart from blind faith and an overwhelming desperation and hope that we might finally land lucky with a manager... what is your actual reason for this optimism?

Based on... what, exactly?

Blue Mooner said:
It's like my missus, I can tell her 10 times how gorgeous she looks then the one time I mention about a dress making her bum looks big and all she focuses her attention on is the one bad comment not the the 10 good one's.

You got that spot on matey ;) Never ever tell a woman her bum looks big...Never.

Ducado said:
Blue Mooner said:

Good post!

Very good. Opened my eyes to the possibility that he might be going the same way - to success.
Hmmmm might give him another season then.

Though we cant automatically assume things will turn out the same way.

Blue Mooner said:

Another selective memory quote, repeating the endless myth that Fergie was about to be sacked because he was a failure.

Before Surly Alex took over at the swamp, he had dismantled the Old Firm dominance, for the first time in about 30 years... won the league a couple of times, the cup about 5 times, and best of all he won the ECWC, defeating Real Madrid in the final.

So he had a track record before he got to the Rags.

His second season he took them to Runners-Up in the league, after a mere half a season sorting them out.

When the fans turned on him at City (I was there and it was piss funny!), the club still had no itention of sacking him as the youth team was bubbling under.

Comparing the Fergie situation and Hughes current situation is nonsensical. Hughes has a track record no better than Souness, Allardyce, Kinnear or Redknapp. He therefore has much to prove before fans will support him as manager. To date he has failed miserably.

We harp on about how many managers we've sacked over the past 30 years, but I can't think of even one who went on to prove us wrong.

I hope Hughes turns it around, I really do. I just don't think there is any evidence, either currently or in the past, of him being capable of doing that. I suppose I could just cross my fingers and pray it all works out. Yeah, that might work.

PBLZ129 said:
Ducado said:
Good post!

Very good. Opened my eyes to the possibility that he might be going the same way - to success.
Hmmmm might give him another season then.

Though we cant automatically assume things will turn out the same way.

No but we can't continually go on and hope that sacking a manager will change the outcome. Changing the ethos, cultur and fabric of a football club takes time, you have to accept the there will be highs and lows on the way.

But the best thing we can have is continuity. Hughes has proved he has credentials he did a very good job with a small town club on a limited budget. Lets not get bogged down in the weeds and the detail and look at the bigger picture.

Ducado said:
Blue Mooner said:

Good post!

Great Post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.