SebastianBlue

President, International Julian Alvarez Fan Club
Reading the story behind the strange (at the time, anyway) 60th minute substitution and hurried walk straight down the tunnel of Wigan’s Ryan Colclough after he had just scored his second goal in their match against Doncaster yesterday got me thinking about other interesting or outright bizarre match substitution and match day squad absence situations.

It brought to mind Tranmere’s infamous ghost substitution in the FA Cup (in a clandestine attempt to replace their player that had been sent off), the several instances of Messi refusing the call to be subbed while playing for Barca and Argentina forcing another player (including likes of Neymar) to take the walk in his stead, and Bony’s absence from our pre-season tour squad a few years back due to having contracted Malaria (if I recall correctly it wasn’t announced until well afterward).

What other strange substitutions or squad absences can you recall?

Last edited:
Nothing tops Tevez having a career break to play golf and make special guest appearances for rock bands in Argentina.

Was that the guy whose wife was in labour? she would have killed him if he didn't get there in time
The same. Love that he looked at his dad from the pitch and saw him saying (and making the motions) that her water had broken. Then went and scored another goal before actually coming off.

The pictures of him in full kit holding the baby are great, as well.

Just found a clip of that farce from the Tranmere phantom substitution (starting at 3:38).

What a cock.
It’s one of the reasons I’ve always had my reservations about him coming here (if that would ever be possible). He could be an absolute force... but he could also completely destabilise the team dynamic we are building.

Jimmy Hill as sub linesman in Coventry match. Yes, they scored an offside goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.