Bock Bierhouse & BlackJack Top House ... anyone been ?

Band on the Wall has been a cornerstone of Manchester’s thriving music and cultural landscape for the greater part of a century. Our mission is to promote equality and diversity through music and to bring leading artists from around the world to the stage – both at our award-winning Manchester venue and nationally, through touring programmes and trailblazing creative music projects.

Our unusual name harks back to the building’s days as The George and Dragon pub in the early 20th Century. Regulars would affectionately refer to the ‘Band on the Wall’ as the place where house musicians quite literally played on a stage halfway up the back wall to make room in the busy pub.

While gaining a reputation for bringing the finest jazz, folk, blues and international music to Manchester, Band on the Wall also found itself at the centre of Manchester’s famed post-punk scene in the late 1970s when Buzzcocks, The Fall and Joy Division played some of their earliest concerts at the venue. In 2009, we reopened after a period of closure and extensive refurbishment, during which we installed a sound system that guarantees the best live music experience in a venue of our size, completely renovated the venue and expanded to open our new bar, The Picturehouse. The Picturehouse bar is open to the public daily (no gig ticket needed) and serves up good beer, a handpicked selection of music from around the world, acoustic sessions, a regular music quiz and some of the tastiest home-cooked food the city has to offer.

Our archive seeks to ensure that details of all performances that happen here will not be lost. This is an ongoing project, and you can explore previous concerts by visiting our archive and YouTube channel.

Band on the Wall is a living music library; a place where everyone can access and enjoy the most inspiring music from a wealth of different cultures. We are committed to providing opportunities for everyone to be involved in making and experiencing music. Our education partner Brighter Sound deliver projects, classes and courses designed to nurture talent and encourage community engagement – you can find out what’s on offer here or by visiting their website.
Thats the place yeah...as I said, great in it's day....probably hipster ridden now, with angst driven anorexic waif vocalists......Up that end of town I would use the Bar Fringe, the C&K, and the Marble....stay well clear of the Burton, which nestles angrily between BOTW and The Smithfield.

Thats the place yeah...as I said, great in it's day....probably hipster ridden now, with angst driven anorexic waif vocalists......Up that end of town I would use the Bar Fringe, the C&K, and the Marble....stay well clear of the Burton, which nestles angrily between BOTW and The Smithfield.
I`m assuming when you say Marble you`re talking about The Marble Arch ?

Right I need some help then mate.Walking out of the Marble and going into town,whats the white type pub on the right hand side by a set of traffic lights.Years ago I used to visit it and went in some 6 months ago.It stocks some wonderful continental and British Beers with plenty of bottled beers.At the back has a smoking area which from memory was like a canvas area.Any ideas ? I`m not certain if its not too far from what was the MEN Arena,which I know has changed its name nowadays.

You're thinking of The Angel, usually a mix of home and away fans on matchdays and fan-friendly if you're not too loud

Went in the Burton last week after going in the Smithfield, unbelievable. There was an old guy on his own in there eating a jar of pickled onions at the bar

You're thinking of The Angel, usually a mix of home and away fans on matchdays and fan-friendly if you're not too loud
Correct. Used to be 'The Beer House' and before that, way back 'The Wheatsheaf' I think?....Not that keen on it TBH, or just prefer others around there.

The Beer House fucking hell yes,thats the one mate.Years ago you couldn`t swing a fucking cat in there it was that small.

Not changed much inside at all since it became The Angel... Owners have barely spent a penny on any form of renovation. And given it was a Biker's pub for it's last years as the Beer House, it certainly could have done with some ...

Gents toilets packed in a year or two ago, and they have closed them and stuck a festival type portakabin in the back yard, which to access you have to go outside, through the Cancer Verandah smoking area, and get wet if it's raining.

Plus side is some good well kept beers .... and it is said to have great food .... all homemade, and in fact, looking at the damp coming through in many places in the bar area, maybe the mushrooms are grown there too? .... But going off what the public areas look like cleanliness wise, I'll not chance eating there anytime soon, lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.