boring techy question...

pardoe

When you use 3G internet on a mobile phone, do you have one unique IP address wherever you are, or will you have a different IP address each time depending on the address of the wifi you are using?

Apologies, i realise this is properly boring, it's just i'm having a bit of trouble with an overzealous admin on another forum i use, and have found myself banned through no real fault of my own.

Thanks in advance for your help.

pardoe said:
When you use 3G internet on a mobile phone, do you have one unique IP address wherever you are, or will you have a different IP address each time depending on the address of the wifi you are using?

Apologies, i realise this is properly boring, it's just i'm having a bit of trouble with an overzealous admin on another forum i use, and have found myself banned through no real fault of my own.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you obtain an IP address on connection, you keep that one till you end your data usage but when you reconnect you receive a new IP. The IP doesn't change when moving through different areas (as long as you remain connected) as 3g is the method of transportation of the data packets and the ip is a different layer of the network stack.

Not 100% but pretty sure thats right.

Sleeping_Easy said:
I think you obtain an IP address on connection, you keep that one till you end your data usage but when you reconnect you receive a new IP. The IP doesn't change when moving through different areas (as long as you remain connected) as 3g is the method of transportation of the data packets and the ip is a different layer of the network stack.

Thanks. That kinda makes sense when thinking about it.

One thing, when you say disconnect, do you mean just closing the browser, or is there another way to fully disconnect from 3G?

My apoogies, i'm a bit of a technophobe.

pardoe said:
Sleeping_Easy said:

Thanks. That kinda makes sense when thinking about it.

One thing, when you say disconnect, do you mean just closing the browser, or is there another way to fully disconnect from 3G?

My apoogies, i'm a bit of a technophobe.

You can fully disconnect 3g in settings. You get a new IP address each time this is known as a Dynamic IP address. You can get a permanent IP address (known as static) but no point unless you are a business or organisation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.