Breaking records/stats thread

Tonight's possible records that could be broken......

Most wins in a row - all competitions: 11, 19 April – 12 September 2015. Equalled, could be beaten tonight.
Most career first team goals - 177 Aguero has equalled Brook's record. A goal tonight and he's the all-time greatest City scorer with a goals to game ratio that eclipses all others.
Most games without defeat all competitions: currently on 19 (since FAC semi defeat). In 24 Nov 2013- 29 Jan 2014 we went 20 games in all comps without defeat. This may well be the record. It eclipses the runs around 1937 & 1947. Whatever happens if we don't lose to Wolves we will have equalled the run from 2013-2014.

Records that could be equalled/go at weekend.....

Most away wins in a row in League: 6, 7 March – 26 September 1903. If we win at WBA we will have equalled this (currently on 5 including Watford on last day of last season).
Most career first team goals - keep watching Aguero. Could be a new record every game he plays.

Prior to last weekend's game City already had 3 players (Aguero, Sterling & Jesus) who had each scored more League goals this season than our highest seasonal goal scorer (Mike Sheron) in 1993-94 (Sheron scored 6 league goals that year!). I know the tally for 1993-94 is pretty crap but that was one of our better seasons in the 1990s of course (though we had enjoyed two fifth place finishes earlier in the decade).

With Gabriel Jesus approaching a year unbeaten, has that been done before at the top level?

It's a couple of seasons off yet but our longest consecutive spell in the top flight so far is 17 seasons from 1966-67 to 1982-83. So far we've done 16 consecutive seasons (2002-03 to date). Assuming we avoid relegation this season (which I'm cautiously optimistic about) we will equal that record next season.

Ye for the Arsenal invincibles :)

They lost cup games. Jesus hasn't lost for City or Brazil in any match.

Thinking about it, his being injured could apply to anyone who has been out for a period of time over a year, so maybe it isn't even that unusual relatively. Sounds exceptional though.

I can for see that a lot of Man City fans may not like what I am about to say. Although Sergio will beat that record either tonight or against WBA on Saturday. Yes Sergio will. have broken the record in fewer games The record that Eric Brook has as far as I am aware only takes account of League and FA Cup games. So surely we should do the same for Sergio, and take away all his goals and games from both the League Cup and European games. then we can compare the 2 strikers records. Which will no doubt still be an impressive record.

I can for see that a lot of Man City fans may not like what I am about to say. Although Sergio will beat that record either tonight or against WBA on Saturday. Yes Sergio will. have broken the record in fewer games The record that Eric Brook has as far as I am aware only takes account of League and FA Cup games. So surely we should do the same for Sergio, and take away all his goals and games from both the League Cup and European games. then we can compare the 2 strikers records. Which will no doubt still be an impressive record.

Yes but Sergio has also managed the feat in 190 games less than Brook, so I don't think it matters that he's played in Europe and the League Cup.

Either way I don't want to knock one of them down because they have both played a significant part in our history.

Brook's record of 177 is wrong. He actually scored 3 more goals for us, meaning it's 180. The three extra were scored in 1939/40, when the league was abandoned after just 3 games. But he scored in one of those so that should certainly count. The other two were in games played in the wartime league so probably shouldn't.

So Sergio still needs one goal to equal the record and two to beat it.

Update: Thanks to Gary James for pointing out that the 3 games in 1939 games (Leicester, Bury & Chesterfield) were expunged & replayed in 1946/47 so Brook's goal in the first of those didn't count officially.

Last edited:

Nah. Highest overall scorer is still highest overall scorer. Loads of things change over the decades and centuries, but one way or another he'll have scored more goals than anyone else ever has before. Every single stat ever can have some kind of caveat against it, but this one is nice and simple.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.