Brighton (A) - Post Match Thread.

As an ex Manager of ours often said, ze season ees long, ees hard.
Titles are not won in August but can be lost there. We need to rack up the points as economically as possible leaving plenty in the tank for the battles ahead.
Integrating the new players and formations, seeing what will work and what should be discarded is of prime importance. Deciding whether to go back into the transfer market or not.
Let United, Arsenal and Liverpool make the headlines, we'll be content to smoothly purr along.

25kq4ww.jpg
That is so wrong dave,he had great hair

don't agree. you bring those 2 on when the bus dwellers are tired.
Kind've agree with this? I think when we play a game against a team who we know are going to park the bus (United as an example) we need to try and strike before they can set it up. If we scored in the first 10 minutes of the Brighton game I think we route them by 4 or 5 because we'd force them to come at us and no team in the prem can beat us trying to play extremely attacking football. If Sterling or Sane could help get us ahead early and force the opposing team to play attacking football it changes the dynamic of the game entirely. I do agree that one of our pacier game changing players needs to be on the bench every game in case we don't get that early goal and we have to break a team down late. One of Bernardo, Sterling, or Sane (Or perhaps if D. Silva or KDB is left on the bench for a game) should always be available late in games to bring on. These players completely change the team, especially Sterling. His ability to play the wing as well as centrally makes him an incredible option to bring on late when defenders are tired from chasing the ball all game.

Convinced yesterday was more about the team using the game to adapt to the 3-5-2 system with Pep being quite confident of a win. Bit risky but we won and got some value out of it so it's ended up being a good choice. I don't expect we'll play that way against the lower sides very much for the rest of the season, we have no need for 3 central defenders when they have about 3 attacks all game but it's good to get used to it for when we do use it against the bigger sides.

Looked a bit lethargic at times and didn't have much of a plan with a lot of players very static, hopefully just new season rust though. Definitely need to move the ball a lot faster if we're to break better teams down. Not judging him based on 1 game before somebody that can't accept even slight criticism suggests that but Danilo looked very much like a right back playing out of position yesterday. Had a number of chances to push forward and get the ball in with his left but choose to constantly check on to his right and stop the attack. Further strengthens my opinion of us needing another player capable of filling in at left back.

Amex was a nice new ground to visit, would rather they were relegated though, that journey down was a killer.

Overall, a decent start, 3 points, good signs all round, new players integrated fairly well already and don't seem like they'll take a long time to settle, a good bit of practice in a new formation but still plenty of improvements to be made.

I think at hime against these kind of teams we will end up some thing like

Edersen
Danilo Kompany Stones
Yaya
Sane KDB silva silva sterling
Aguero

Let them attack. Clearly there are positions there which are interxhangeavle, Gundagun for yaya, you couls argue mendy and walker formsane and sterling and jesus for aguero but as a shape i think you are more likely to break them down.

Th last 15 minutes didn't bode well for my 100+ goal bet! David particularly was totally defensive. I can understand protecting a lead, though Brighton were totally impotent. I am not criticising, I was just totally surprised. The point I'm trying to make is that I did not think this was Pep's way at all. If I'm wrong and it is his way, fair enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.